Turn off 5GHz

I have Balance router and I have devices that only work with 2.4GHz, how do I separate the signals and keep the device from migrating off of the 2.4?

in the settings you can shut off the 5ghz band entirely

Well that is what I’m trying to do, but I don’t see a setting to do that

Can you say more? A device that only supports 2.4GHz should not “migrate off the 2.4” - since it can’t use the 5GHz signal, it would not even attempt to switch to it. Are these perhaps devices that can use either 2.4 or 5, and they are picking up a very weak 5GHz signal and that’s the problem?

In any case, generally, you want devices to use the 5GHz spectrum since usually it’s shorter range, higher bandwidth, and less congested.

You can change the behavior using the band steering settings:

On a Balance One using Firmware 8.4:
• Click AP, then Wireless SSID, then click the name of your SSID
• in the upper right, click the “?” symbol and reveal the advanced options
• this reveals a new option band steering:

What setting do you have?

your request does not make sense. if the device does not work with 5ghz it will only connect to 2.4. you should not have to adjust anything.

the device connects but frequently loses it’s connection, so I called tech support for the device. they have instructed me to turn off the 5ghz because the device will not work properly with both 2.4 and 5ghz on.

the device connects but frequently loses it’s connection, so I called tech support for the device. they have instructed me to turn off the 5ghz because the device will not work properly with both 2.4 and 5ghz on.

again, makes no sense. if the device has no 5ghz capability, its not at play. what device? what wireless protocols does it support?

I wonder if you could do this:

You really should say which router you have and the firmware version you are using.

On a Balance 20x with firmware 8.3, go to the AP tab, then Settings in left side vertical column. Right at the top you can assign each SSID to just one or both Wi-Fi frequency bands.

Also, I suggest checking the Client List on your router as it shows the signal strength to each wireless device. If the signal strength is good, then manually change the channel. Only use 1, 6 or 11. Also verify that the channel width is 20Mhz. Very likely is.

1 Like