Time of day WAN restrictions and name based rules

Some things that I’d like to see in a future revision:

1. time based configuration for WAN links. Basically, the ability to set a WAN link as active only for certain time periods, and off or backup at other times. One of my ISPs only counts traffic towards caps during peak hours, but it is the slower of two links. So I’d like the other one (which is faster and also has a lower cap) to only be active during peak hours, and in backup mode or disabled off peak.

2. time based outbound policies / firewall rules. Related to the above, for outbound rules, and for firewall, it would be nice to block certain internal hosts and protocols from going out at selected times.

3. DNS based firewall rules / outbound rules. Add the option to specify a DNS name rather than IP address in rules. So, for cases where a site or service has multiple IP addresses, all traffic would fall under the rule without needing to create a group of rules by manually looking up IP addresses in DNS.

Hi Doug,

This is acknowledged. We’ll look into these features request in our next development meeting. Stay tuned and we’ll let you know when these features will be available.

Thanks,

Alex

I am particularly interested in this:

2) time based outbound policies / firewall rules. Related to the above, for outbound rules, and for firewall, it would be nice to block certain internal hosts and protocols from going out at selected times.

Please make this at least as flexible as that is available on Apple Airport Express Base Station; i.e. we should be able to specify more than one time range for a) everyday b) any given day of the week.

Seriously need this feature on the balance 20/30. For small home offices where some may be sharing internet traffic with certain under age users or partially employed individuals, the ability to set time restrictions on WAN traffic by IP address or MAC address is critical.

Thanks,
Jason