Thoughts on SOHO setup

Hello all,

First time poster. Somewhat of a grizzled veteran with hardware, but not so much on the wireless end. I learn fast tho…

I have a need for a multi-segmented network setup at home, where I can isolate home traffic (media streaming, browsing, etc.) from my work traffic (heavy video conferencing, web apps, VPN, etc.). House was originally wired with Cat5 back in 2000. I can easily replace some or all of the wiring with Cat6.

I was originally toying with linking a number of Netgear AC routers with hardwire connections and configuring a couple as APs. But then I stumbled on Peplink gear and think I’ve found a suitable option to allow me to manage everything from a single console while providing strong connectivity and security options for work and home.

My house is a ranch with approx 2150 sq ft on the main floor. Basement liveable space is approx 1400 sq ft. Ideally, I’d love to extend wireless outdoors to the deck/backyard area, which would add another 2000 sq ft. But that is a “sprinkles on the ice cream” request and not a requirement.

Internet service is Spectrum 100mbps. I am eligible to upgrade to 400mbps. Current modem is Arris SB6183.

Sorry for the long-winded preamble. I’m considering a Balance 20 with at least 3 APs (2 up, 1 down), with the units connected with Cat6. Would appreciate your thoughts on options and pros/cons of that configuration.

Thanks in advance - looking forward to joining the Peplink family!
Rick

For a 400 Mbps throughput you are looking at a BPL-ONE or better (https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/).
At one location we have a similar set-up (one router and a bunch of AP One AC minis), configured with VLANs for each service. For the outdoor setting there is the AP One Flex.
The management of the whole system form the Balance web interface simplifies maintenance, not to mention the ease of use that comes with InControl2 (which is not expensive for the units you seem likely to deploy).
How many APs you need depends on your structures and their placements, of course.
We are quite happy with our set-up, and with the service provided by Peplink and the community.

2 Likes