Text Messages via SIM Toolkit not working ?

Anyone able to receive text messages via sim toolkit ?

I tried this on my Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G, on 8.2.1s027 build 5039 and never get my messages. If I put sim in a phone I get messages fine. Asked my vendor (mobile must have) who esclated to Peplink. They conveyed message that SMS toolkit does not receive messages for my unit … This was before 8.3 which I have not tried yet however others have tried and failed.

topic is coming up more often as a carrier recently is forcing 2fa via text msg codes only as we posted about here:

https://forum.peplink.com/t/visible-and-visible-+-new-core-verizon-plans-new-sim/635ef84282590f6758244f3f/1

@Jeff_C, do you mind loading the firmware 8.3.0 (from our download site) and giving it a try, then let us know the outcome?

Do share with us the support ticket number if Mobile Must Have already engaged with our Support Team, to allow the team to follow up.

Just as I replied to your original comment on 23 Feb 2023 5:58 PM. I can confirm 8.3.0 build 5229 shows SMS under Advanced → SIM Toolkit → WAN= Cellular → Tool= SMS.

Thanks @JO3 for confirming. I too have the option in my menu but text or SMS never show up when I try to use it

@WeiMing
Also thank you for reply. I do need to try latest firmware but not sure I a going to see anything different per release notes?? My day job has me very dependent on device so little slow to try it as I had issues going 8.1 to 8.2. Does sound like I can roll back from 8.3 to 8.2.1s027_5039 via reboot to 2nd image.
per your question about prior ticket
Please note I have only positive feedback for Chris on support with Mobile Must Have.
MMH ticket 68846 from Jan 2023 before 8.3. After a few checks he came back with::

“Peplink confirmed that the MAX-BR1-PRO-5GH-T-PRM does not support SMS. Sorry for any confusion.”

Tried the update from 8.2.1_build5039 to 8.3.0-build5229 from download site for my MAX BR1 Pro 5G. As expected the update went smooth, the dashboard showing the IP address now is a nice improvement.

However …

Tried a few times and still not receiving any SMS via Advanced / Sim Tool Kit / SMS while on 8.3.
@WeiMing and @JO3 ; pls let me know if there are other steps I can try to get this working. We do have a few use cases were receiving SMS via SIM card apply.

thx
Jeff

Are you on the legacy visible network or the new one? Also, what’s your APN?

@Jeff_C, I have tried with our BR1 Pro-5G (same cellular module) running on firmware 8.3.0.

I can see the messages appear in the SMS list (shown below).

As mentioned by @JO3, probably that could be other factors preventing the SMS to be received by the BR1 Pro-5G.

@WeiMing
Thank you for confirming these should work on 8.3 and Max BR1 Pro 5G. Understood on other factors too.

In checking my cell engineering details I see the firmware on my modem is much lower version of 01.07.19.00 vs the 3.x yours shows.
Is that something I can update, if so how?
Only updates I have done are main firmware from site or occasonal beta versions from Chris@ Mobile Must Have, never anyting specific to modem.

I also see my version of 8.3 is 8.3.0 build 5229 vs yours which is likely a beta … but betting no concern there.

@JO3
This is on newer Visible+ plan using APN of vzwinternet

thank you both for the help

Modem Firmware.jpg

You may need to change your IP address, but assuming you have the default address, login to your device at 192.168.50.1. Once logged in, change “index.cgi?mode=config&option=main” to “support.cgi”. and hit enter. Click “Cellular module firmware update” and see if an update exist. I’m running 03.09.11.00.

@JO3 Thank you, that fixed it !

@WeiMing thank you for the help here too

to summarize:
this has never worked for me since unit was new …
tried update of main unit firmware to 8.3 and while that looks good it did not fix my lack of SMS

I updated cell module firmware from 01.07.19.00 to 03.09.11.00 and then did a system/reboot.
(I tried without reboot and did not work)

Now able to receive text messages via Advanced / SMS toolkit, including 2FA codes from Visible for account login :slight_smile:

did cell module firmware update via:
a. made sure I had stable cell connection:
b. >assuming you have the default address, login to your device at 192.168.50.1. Once logged in, change “index.cgi?mode=config&option=main” to “support.cgi”. and hit enter. Click “Cellular module firmware update” and see if an update exist. I’m running 03.09.11.00.
c. restarted unit via system/reboot
d. tested successfully !

2 Likes

Woohoo! Glad to see you’re working!

Can this be done remote ( Incontrol) or does it have to be done locally?

@Jerry_Sarfati, under the group level you can select “Update cellular module firmware…” from the [Actions] drop-down list, then IC2 will check the online devices and display the qualified units for your further action.

I did the check, and firmware says it’s current, But I’m still not getting sms

What is your current firmware version, current modem firmware version and what model device are you using?

Cellular firmware swix55c_03.09.11.0
product max br1 pro 5g
firmware 8.2.1s200 build 5167

tia

Can you upgrade to 8.3.0? Also, who is your provider?

I’m not a “leading edge” person :). I prefer upgrading after several months

provider is verizon

Once you decide to upgrade, come back and let us know if that fixed your problem.