Synology VPN setup trough Balance Once

I am switching from a MacOS server to a Synology DS1517+ and have setup its internal L2TP/IPSec VPN server.

I have setup all the required ports to forward from the NAS IP address to the WAN but still cant connet to the VPN.

I was able to pull up the build inn web server from outside the LAN so I am not completely dead in the water. But I am puzzled what I am missing here.

I was able to connect to the server using the Peplink VPN but I would like to use the Synology one. After this successfull test I removed the Peplink VPN settings to avoid a conflict.

Anyone else can share with me how they solved this?

Thanks!

Rogier

I would suggest to perform packet capture in Peplink device and make sure all the L2TP/IPSec traffics is forwarded to the Synology DS1517+.

1 Like

Scooter, you have forwarded ports from the NAS to the WAN, but have not mentioned doing the reverse. When you initiate the VPN connection from a remote site the ports need to be forwarded inbound from the WAN to the NAS.

Network > Inbound Access > Servers to create identify the NAS LAN address
Network > Inbound Access > Services to specify which ports to forward

You’ll also need to open the same inbound ports in the Peplink firewall

1 Like

Thanks, turns out by enablig UPnP and allowing the Synology create the ports it worked.
However I can’t see a thing what it did on the router. And after a restart lost the VPN agan andhad to run the UpnP “magic”. Not feeling very confinent in this setup.