Surf SoHo Replacement (Balance 20x verse B One)

Hello,
I currently use the Surf SoHo MK3, which is obviously discontinued. I want to upgrade my throughput. The 5g store just messaged me that the SoHo replacement, the B One, is expected to have 1 Gb / sec, which is great for me. However, there is no concrete release date (they have a tentative ETA of late Feb / Mar but not concrete). Apparently, the existing SoHo replacement is the Balance 20X. I don’t know anything about this product except for its much higher throughput (900 mbps) than the SoHO.

Does anybody have experience with the two products & can highlight the major differences. I just use the SoHo for my house, mostly due to the security it provides.

Thanks for your help.

Right now the best replacement for the SOHO is the Balance 20X, as you suggest. This is an excellent product. The B One is expected soon but so far as I am aware I am not permitted to share the draft spec sheet in our possession. What I can say is that this is going to be a really competitive product with great specs.

If, at some point, you want to place an order just send me an e-mail or PM with your contact information and I’ll place you on our “first out” list for the new product. If you want a B20X that’s even easier and it’s available immediately.

• Rick
2 Likes

In January 2023 I upgraded from the SoHo MK3 to the Balance 20X. The former was fine but then I switched to a GB fiber connection, and at the time there was no timeline about the SoHo MK3 successor, so I went ahead and got the more expensive Balance 20X (even though I wouldn’t use any of the cellular connectivity so your use case is similar to mine). Migration was painless. It’s been rock solid. It sounds like you’ll save some money if you can wait a few months for the upcoming B One. I usually avoid the first version of any hardware release but I would’ve made an exception with Peplink if I had not purchased the Balance 20X last year.

1 Like

Just one minor comment: But I will say I’ve found the sage advice to avoid the first model years of automobiles. for example, not necessarily to extend to Peplink’s products. Indeed I cannot think of a single “first hardware version” to have been problematic. I think this is attributed to two things: Peplink’s excellent design and engineering and the fact that fundamental behaviors are controlled with firmware.

And have you seen how Peplink stress test designs?

This video is several years old, yet the fundamentals and effort remain in what is done before any new hardware or firmware is released.

And from the old website

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there a ballpark of what the price point for the B One will be? Will it be more in line with the SOHO or more with the Balance 20x?

Hi there,

Good news is that the B One will be leaning more towards the SOHO’s price point and it’ll be launching very soon. Feel free to PM me if you’re interested in taking a look at the B One’s specs. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Hi,
Great to hear that B One will be ready shortly.

Will Peplink be able to provide any software to swap configuration from a Surf Soho to the new B One?
That would be amazing.
I can’t imagine the hell of going through all the settings again to make up the VLANs.

1 Like