Surf SOHO MK3 - WAN connection dropping

All -

I am having exactly the same issues with a Surf SOHO MK3 running firmware 7.1.0 build 1284 as in this thread - AP One AC Mini and Balance 20 - WAN connection dropping - #163 by scuba_steve. WAN connections will randomly drop out. The only thing that restores the connection is to cycle the wifi on the device. I am running mostly Apple devices (two MacBook Pros, multiple iPhones, iPads, and iPods. I have two VLANS operating as different SSIDs- 1. for private networking and the other dedicated to IoT devices (Wemo switches/plugs, Echo, Netatmo, and multiple nest cameras). Forcing the IoT VLAN to 2.4 GHz and the private VLAN to 5.0 GHz seems to help somewhat but then my Wemo switches have difficulty connecting.

I am hopeful that this issue will not take 17+ months to fix as the issue in the other thread (and is still on-going).

Thanks.

1. Can you provide more info as described above ? Devices stay connected to the SOHO WIFI AP broadcasted SSID but no internet connections ? All devices encounter the same issue when issue happen ?

Do you mean Wemo switches difficult to associated to the SSID ?

1. As described above, devices will fail to connect to 2.4Ghz SSID and 5.0Ghz SSID at the same times ?

2. Do SOHO MK3 having any failed health check logs ?

3. You mention power cycle the wifi on the device ? Do you mean disconnect the WIFI conenction for the client devices ?

Would you able to open a support ticket as well here for support team to check on the device ?

1 Like

I have had issues with WAN dropping random.ly and reboot and it works again for a random amount of time. So we figured out that the speed negotiation half/full duplex went wrong. Manually set both devices to the appropriate speed and this works sometimes.

Hi,

Can you provide more info as described above ? Devices stay connected to the SOHO WIFI AP broadcasted SSID but no internet connections ? All devices encounter the same issue when issue happen ?

Yes, the devices do stay connected to the AP without an internet connection. I have noticed that when this happens on my iPhone one of the signal bar indicators goes out. I haven’t looked at the actual signal strength during these times.

Do you mean Wemo switches difficult to associated to the SSID ?

Yes. Interestingly, some are able to connect and others are not. There doesn’t seem to be anything in common between those that can connect or those that can’t connect.

As described above, devices will fail to connect to 2.4Ghz SSID and 5.0Ghz SSID at the same times ?

IoT devices are having trouble connecting (Wemo switches and plugs). Other devices don’t seem to have issues connecting/associating with an AP.

Do SOHO MK3 having any failed health check logs ?

There was one failed health check on 2/21 but no others.

You mention power cycle the wifi on the device ? Do you mean disconnect the WIFI conenction for the client devices ?

Yes, for instance turning the wifi off on the device and then back on.

Would you able to open a support ticket as well here for support team to check on the device ?

Done.

Thanks!

So I opened a support ticket and I am referred to the retailer for technical support? What? Did anyone actually even review the ticket? The retailer I purchased the router from states that they support the following:

Determine if hardware is defective upon arrival
Simple Configuration for device/s
Assistance in connecting device/s wired or wireless up to 2 per call.
Defining signal strength and placement of wireless antennas and amplifiers
Determine if Mobile Broadband modem hardware is functioning properly
Explanation or PDF Resources made available by email on select topics

The issue I am describing is exactly the same as described in the link above for the One, Mini, and Balance 20 and required a firmware fix in that case but a retailer is expected to support me with that? Why would Dyson refer me to Target for technical assistance with their product? Why would Microsoft refer me to Wal-Mart for technical assistance with their product?

Is this even for real?

Hi Newtonsfloss,

Thank you for reaching out to us – we will certainly get to the bottom of things for you.
Note that you are working with Peplink Certified Engineers, and it may seem different than what you are used to, however, this will get answers to you much more quickly and efficiently.
The Peplink Certified Engineers you are working with will gather all the necessary information from you, and from this thread, and they will solve what they can, and what they can’t, they will fully summarize and set things up for our engineers to investigate deeper.
Thank you for your understanding of our system, we will get this solved for you.

Kindest Regards,
The Peplink Team

1 Like