Surf SOHO MK3 LAN Throughput (not WAN)

Hello,

I am considering getting a Surf SOHO MK3 and want to check about the LAN throughput.
According to the device specifications it has a “router throughput” of 120 Mbps. Does this only apply to traffic going from WAN to LAN?

1. For example, if I have two devices connected via LAN to the Surf SOHO, can the throughput between them exceed 120 Mbps? In a situation like copying a large file between two computers on the LAN.
  2. In the case that both computers are on a single VLAN together does that impact the throughput between them?

For both 1 and 2 above, assume that the router is not otherwise under load (not maxing out the WAN port with/without complicated firewall rules at that level).

Maybe my final question is too general, but in the event that two computers are on separate VLANs and inter-vlan traffic is enabled how much does a firewall rule (of some kind…) applied to traffic between the two affect throughput?

Thanks for reading.

Of your three questions, I can only answer the first one. The 120Mpbs limit only applies on the WAN/Internet side. Copying files from one LAN device to another LAN device is full gigabit. That said, when I have done this with a large file (15 gigabytes) it maxes out the poor router, CPU runs at 100% during the file copy.

I see, thank you for sharing. Full gigabit transfer over the untagged LAN maxing out the CPU is a little concerning, but it’s good to know that the hardware can support it to begin with.

I hope we can look forward to a MK4 one day ^^