Surf SOHO MK3 and Tablet as LTE Modem

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out a way to connect my LTE Tablet (LG G Pad X 8.0) to the Pepwave more reliably?

Basically the only reason I am using the Pepwave is because it allows me to have more than the 8 connections limited by the hotspot on the Android tablet. I use the 5ghz hotspot on the tablet and setup the Pepwave as “Wi-Fi WAN”.

I have 3 questions.

1. Could I use something like USB Tethering or an ethernet adapter to connect the tablet wired to the Pepwave?

2. Is there a different setup that would work better for me? I would love something that has better LTE reception that my current tablet, but I don’t think something like the MOFI would work with my current T-Mobile tablet plan since the MOFI is a “mobile hotspot” not a tablet.
    Maybe an iPad would get better reception, or is there a way for mine or another tablet to boost its LTE reception using some kind of antenna?

3. Do I even need a Pepwave SOHO for my current setup? Would just a regular, albeit nice 802.11ac router be enough to make the tablet hostpot recognize just one connection?

Couldn’t find this info using my search skills since I am not that versed in this stuff.

THANKS!!!

Have you found a solution to this as I am in the same boat?

Yeah, no one replied and a direct email to peplink wasn’t answered…

I continue using the SOHO for it’s Wi-Fi as WAN at 5ghz. I disabled the wifi access point on the SOHO and instead use a dedicated Wifi (ASUS RT-AC86U) router connected via ethernet cable to the Soho. That doubled my internet speeds. I think it’s because it’s not just one device receiving and sending the signal… I wish I could connect the tablet to the router wired, then it would be less complex.

I am not sure if that was helpful…

If the LTE tablet is Android based, you should able to tether it via USB to MK3. If you failed to tether the tablet to MK3, please refer to the link below and prepare the environment for us to take a closer look.

Thanks.

1 Like