Surf SoHo Antenna Configuration

I want to install a Surf SoHo MK3 on my boat, using WiFi and LTE (via USB modem) as my primary and secondary WAN sources. For WiFi WAN, I want to install a high gain marine antenna on my arch to connect to various access points on shore. Is there a preferred way to do this? There are three antenna ports — which ones are used for WAN vs LAN when WiFi is the active WAN source? Can I plug an 8dBi marine antenna directly into one of the antenna ports?

The WiFi antennas are reverse polarity (and can not be used for LTE). They support both LAN and WAN functionality which is defined by your configuration, not the antenna placement. The 8dBi marine antenna may work but it needs to be reverse polarity and support the WiFi frequencies (not LTE frequencies). It’s impedance may also be an issue. I’m sorry I can’t be more definitive.

All three are used for both LAN and WAN since the radio is shared. I have experimented with my Panorama 5 in 1 antenna that has two wifi elements. The SOHO will work just fine with just two or one antenna plugged in it will just reduce speeds as you are reducing MIMO. I have also tried two external one internal, and two internal one external. It basically just changes how well it works inside for LAN vs outside for WAN.

I would recommend though getting a dedicated wifi device for either LAN or WAN, there are are few issues sharing the radio for both, it works pretty well so long as you remember to disable wifi WAN when not around a network, otherwise the SOHO will constantly scan for one and cause packet loss on the LAN network while its doing the scans. If you get a dedicated LAN AP it will be unaffected by this and you will get better performance with dedicated radios to each function.

1 Like

Thanks for the great info. This setup is for my boat – I want it to pick up the WiFi of whatever marina I’m closest to, and switch to LTE (via USB hotspot with another external antenna) when no WiFi is available. I wanted to just use the Surf SoHo with one high-gain external antenna, and the two included external antennas, for the simplicity of managing everything through one interface. I also looked at various marine WiFi radios that include an attached antenna (the Ubiquiti Bullet seems to be popular) that use PoE and connect to the WAN port, but I couldn’t find one that would automatically connect to known WiFi networks when they’re within range. It looked like they all require manual connection to WiFi, whereas the Surf looked like it would automatically connect to its known networks. Ideally, I want to connect to all of the known networks in the area once, and have it remember them and automatically connect when I’m cruising, or better yet, preload as many network credentials as I can get and have it autoconnect to whatever is within range. Basically, I want to spend time on the build, then not have to touch it again, if possible. I don’t need a lot of speed or range on the WLAN – just basic web browsing and the occasional movie stream (on WiFi WAN), and the boat is only 41’. I’ve heard about the packet loss when hunting for WiFi, but I’m curious how bad it actually is – I watched a video of a guy doing a simulated failover from WiFi WAN to LTE, and it didn’t even seem to blink…the ping times stayed pretty low.

If it was me, I’d keep the SOHOs main responsibility as WAN controller so disable the WiFI LAN AP and just use WiFI for WAN (MIMO preferably as Marinas can get congested). .

Then I’d buy a cheap WiFI AP and install internally. The PepWAVE AC Mini is a great size for hiding in a storage cubbyhole… but really just about any AC WiFI AP would be fine. Doesn’t need to be clever at all as the Smarts are in the SOHO.

2 Likes