I have been having problems with my router/modem stuck on “obtaining ip address” even though I have had between 1 and 5 bars, most of the time between 2 and 4 bars. The weird thing is that it only occurs in certain locations but it isn’t tied to a specific carrier and my phone can often connect at the same locations though with fewer bars since it doesn’t have an external antenna.
I created a ticket but I wanted to share this on the forum because I have been trying to figure out what is going on and the relevant threads I have found all seem to end with a representative suggesting a solution that doesn’t help in my case and then saying file a ticket and then nothing else that can help anyone else. I don’t know if that means they figured it out or if it just went nowhere.
I have filed a ticket but I want to share this information because I have spent literally many hours trying to figure out what is going on and I am hoping this can help other people save their time.
The ticket number is #20010459. Here is the information I have included in the ticket:
I have a pepwave max br1 slim lte us version. I have had trouble connecting to towers in a specific location with the router stuck on “obtaining ip address” even though it shows sometime full bars and other times 2, 3 or 4 bars.
This is not related to a specific carrier or account because I have two different sims, on with AT&T and the other T-mobile. ATT is an unilimited dataplan, t-mobile has 6 gigs and not near its cap. I have used an old sim with Tmobile and then upgraded to a new sim. ATT is a new sim.
It connects fine in other locations but in a mountain area near acton ca, I have had trouble connecting always with the same status of “obtaining ip address”. I have never been able to connect with T-mobile and have tried different antennas (omnidirection vs directional), rebooted, updated firmware, changed pretty much all settings that are available (3g/lte, bands, network mode, smart check, data roaming, custom apns, etc… I tried all of these configurations over several weeks never got an IP. When I drive down the road less than a half mile away, I get it just fine. However, my phone gets less bars (1-2 sometimes 3 bars) but I can use it as a hotspot on T-mobile.
Because of this issue, and thinking it was something weird with Tmobile, I went and got an ATT sim card and account. When I showed up yesterday while using the ATT sim, I had 3 bars and a good connection. When I woke up today, I have had the same problem and can’t get an IP address through either ATT or Tmobile. So it worked when I drove in and maybe was okay with the IP address it had obtained elsewhere, but then hasn’t been able to obtain a new one in this location and it is the same for either the tmobile or att sims. Again, my phone connects just fine on Tmobile even after being off for several hours.
I have it connected to two different usb supplies with more than enough current available. When trying to connect to tmobile a few weeks back, I also connected to a 12v source just to be sure that wasn’t part of the problem and it didn’t help. I haven’t tried it again with thhe ATT sim, but I don’t think that should matter much especially since both 5v usb ports are supplying enough current.
I am currently connected through my phone through t-mobile with 1-3 bars, so the tower is functional. For the several weeks that I was trying tmobile before, this is what I had to do. I was using my phone as a hotspot since I couldn’t get the router/modem to work. I have a galaxy note 9 if that info helps.
Please let me know what I need to do. It seems like I have exhausted everything on my end and it seems to point to some issue with your router and certain towers even though the towers work fine with my phone.