Static IP Setup Help

I have a Pepwave Surf SOHO and we are trying to add a static IP to a specific computer on our network. Our setup is: internet comes into the Pepwave Surf SOHO, a line then goes to a TrendNet router and then to the computer that needs the Static IP. I need a step-by-step instruction on how to do this, as I am not super computer savvy. TIA

First question: Why are you using two routers back-to-back? You’re describing what appears to be an awkward and less than ideal situation.

1 Like

Our internet is ran from one house to another house on my property in order for the other house to have both direct-internet and wifi capabilities. If it would be easier to set this up without the 2nd router that’s fine, we will straight line it but we would prefer to not do that if possible.

OK. I’d say the strongly-preferred solution would be to place an access point at the 2nd location rather than a router. So, you have two NAT firewalls in place back-to-back? And, two different sub-nets, I guess?

The “short answer” to the static IP address quest is that this is best done on the device itself. One simply assigns a static address outside of DHCP range as set in the router that serves that subnet.

1 Like

HI and welcome to the forum!

Rick is right, the TrendNet router is adding a level of complexity to this you likely don’t want.
First question is why do you need it to have a static IP.
Then what model Trendnet router is it?
Then please post screen shots of LAN settings on SOHO and LAN settings on Trendnet and finally what IP address does the computer currently have?

With that info we can advise as to best setup and offer a step by step guide.

Most likely the easiest way to do this will be to log into the TrendNet router and set a DHCP reservation for the attached computer. However, the trendnet will likely stop any device connected to the SOHO from directly communicating with the computer. So we might have to add addtional config to the SOHO (static route) and change the routing mode on the Trendnet (from NAT to IP Forwarding).

2 Likes

By device itself, do you mean on the TrendNet router (initially we tried it straight on the pc but it wouldn’t connect)?

Well, we are trying to give another computer their own external IP address in order for another person to be able to work as a Search Quality Evaluator. The company requires only one SQE per external IP, so we thought a static IP would then give the other computer it’s own external IP so another person could apply for the job. Perhaps this may not even do that and the external IP would still remain the same (our internet company’s tech person was not sure if it would work that way)?

As suggested, we will likely just simplify it and connect it straight to the pc from the SOHO and then give the pc the static IP (assuming I understood that correctly).

Yes. You can either set the computer for which you want a static address appropriately or make an address reservation. (@MartinLangmaid’s answer is more detailed than the one I gave you – we are saying the same thing.)

In reading your follow-on post I sorta wonder if you need a PUBLIC static address rather than a private one. Are you certain you require the latter?

1 Like

The external IP is assigned to your account by your internet service provider (ISP). If you have a consumer connection there is only one external (public) IP for everything that happens on your LAN, and that IP will change regularly.

If you need multiple different external IP, then you’ll need to get a static IP from your ISP. You’ll need multiple static IPs if you intend for multiple users in your LAN to be seen as different IP to the rest of the world. Do you have multiple static IPs from your ISP now?

If you have multiple static external IP, then your Peplink router has to be programmed to use them. Thats done in the WAN setup page.

Once you have the external IPs available and set up on your WAN page, then you can limit which device uses them. More than one way to do that but easiest using outbound routing rules. The router has to identify your local device which will start with either the MAC address or a static LAN address.

2 Likes