Starlink and Peplink on a Tesla Model Y update 2

Tesla/Starlink/Peplink demo update:

Read the first post of Tesla/ Starlink demo vehicle here:
https://forum.peplink.com/t/starlink-and-peplink-on-a-tesla-model-y/65b9bdf95ab52c0d5b06895d/

Update Overview:

• A solution was needed to combat a large power consumption when the Tesla is idle that causes the power outlet to disable.
  • Starlink uses a lot of power when it is obstructed, e.g. parked in a garage.
  • The EcoFlow RIVER 2 portable power storage device acted as a great battery buffer for AC loads in the vehicle to prevent loss of power where needed.
  • The Peplink IC2 portal allows the ability to remotely stow a dish, and make it enter low power mode.
  • A Peplink geofence can be set to disable an AP broadcast to allow devices (e.g. Wi-Fi access to EcoFlow) in a vehicle to transition to a local AP.

Thanks to this setup, I don’t need to worry about my garage roof being burned by space lasers from the Starlink. #IoT #SmartCarAutomation #Peplink incontrol2 #1SimpleConnect

For the full version read on:

After powering the Starlink/Peplink for a while in the Tesla, I ran into a problem. The Tesla rear 12V outlet would turn off seemingly at random when the vehicle was parked for a period of time. I attributed this to the Starlink/Peplink power supplies pulling the low voltage battery down, and the Tesla software shutting off the outlet as a result. Unfortunately, unless you do a hard-reset, there isn’t a quick way to re-enable the rear 12V outlet.
I decided to try essentially using a DC UPS to quickly solve this problem. Enter the EcoFlow RIVER 2.

The setup is simple. The EcoFlow would replace my power inverter in the Tesla, acting as a battery buffer. The Tesla rear 12V outlet would recharge the EcoFlow, and the EcoFlow AC outlet would power the Starlink Flat Performance Dish 320W and Peplink 36W power supplies. The EcoFlow has a low power reserve, and will shut off output when it gets to the discharge limit it has been set to. It also places a max charge limit to keep your battery from premature degradation.

Great, the problem was solved, or so I thought. Since the EcoFlow allows for monitoring of watts in and out, I was able to track the usage. The interesting thing I discovered was that the power consumption of the Starlink/Peplink was very different while driving, versus while parked. While driving, the usage was around 100W. But, while the car was parked in the garage overnight, I discovered that the watt usage jumped to over 200W. During this time of high power usage, the Starlink dashboard showed that it was trying to locate satellites. Apparently, the dish consumes a lot more power while searching for the “mothership” through an obstruction like my garage.

I found that the Stow action resolved this issue. Interestingly, I noticed that I can remotely activate the Stow action from Peplink InControl2, as well as the Starlink app. This reduces the power output to only 40W for the Flat High Performance Dish. So now, overnight I can reduce the power output of the Starlink dish so that it doesn’t drain the power of the EcoFlow beyond the rate at which it can replenish.

Now the issue remained of how to remotely manage the EcoFlow even if the Tesla powered off the Starlink/Peplink which provides its internet connection. In Peplink InControl2, I created a geofence automation on the Tesla Peplink unit to disable AP broadcast when within a geofence named “at-home.” I also created an IoT network on this Peplink, and joined the EcoFlow to it. This allows me to manage and control the EcoFlow when on the go.

On the Garage Peplink AP, I created an IoT network with the same password as the one created for the EcoFlow. Now when the car pulls into the garage, the Tesla Peplink shuts off the IoT network, and the EcoFlow transitions to the IoT broadcasted by the Garage AP. All of this works together to allow me to remotely monitor, control, and start up the Peplink.

peplink-incontrol2-stowed.png

5 Likes

Could you enhance to have the ecoflow UPS power down the dish totally after stowing it? then zero power consumption. Seems like 40W draw from a stowed dish is odd, and could drain the UPS. If you can issue a command to the UPS to shut off a port, then should be easy.

I haven’t measured just the starlink dish power by itself yet.
The 40w is the pepwave, starlink power supply and whatever the starlink dish draws in stow mode.
I do have the ability to remotely power off the ac port on the ecoflow , I don’t want to power down the peplink.

This setup or similar will be deploy on an emergency vehicle next.
I want the peplink to be powered all the time so the delay of gps tracking , reporting of leaving the geofence is minimal.
I will be talking to the ic2 team about having the stow /unstow trigger from entering/leaving the geofence next.

Great examples of using geofencing! I will have to try that out with my field survey truck!
It doesn’t have Starlink though, I only have that at the office.