Starlink (1st gen), Balance 20X, & ipv6

Hi all,

I’ve got a Starlink (1st dishy), a balance 20X and it turns out that I should be able to have a ipv6 static address from Starlink now.

Is it just a matter of turning on the ipv6 support in the WAN config and away I go? What happens when I do activate that?

Or is there more to do?

Thanks

Jeremy

Unfortunately Peplink do not really have any meaningful IPv6 support at the moment, there are numerous posts on here dating back years with people asking for it and when we might get it but so far nothing has materialised…

The option to enable it on the WAN side is very basic, essentially just passing whatever it gets on the WAN to clients on the LAN, there are no options to configure IPv6 on the Peplink beyond that, i.e. you get no control of IPv6 traffic routing, no LAN side config, no firewall, PepVPN doesn’t support native IPv6 etc.

Whilst you might achieve the goal of getting native IPv6 to your end devices you might find it causes you some odd issues - experience shows me that on fully dual-stack networks devices that have IPv6 these days are generally preferring to use it over IPv4 where the end service supports it - so things like Google, Netflix etc. where you might really want to lean on the Peplink for traffic control or routing might effectively bypass that as your clients start to prefer using the IPv6 path.

1 Like

We were getting constant MAC address conflicts and Peplink had to completely disable IPV6 to resolve it. We did not enable it, it was running out of the box settings. Its been over a month and the error has not returned.

1 Like