Splitting Traffic Between WAN and OpenVPN WAN

I recently installed ProtonVPN on my Surf SoHo. It works great but I’m finding a significant speed reduction compared to my normal WAN speed - 10 Mbit vs 60 MBit. This is a known issue with ProtonVPN and isn’t an issue with normal internet use. Streaming video can be problematic though so I’d like to separate my Roku traffic from everything else and route all inbound and outbound Roku traffic through the normal WAN, bypassing the VPN. I’m presuming that I’d do that via firewall rules but I’m uncertain as to how to proceed. Has anyone done this or similar and could provide some insight? I’ve searched the forums and the manual but nothing seems to fit this particular situation.

1 Like

This is my first post so not an answer for you. I too am trying to do this with my bytzvpn account: assign which vlan uses openvpn and which does not for roku use, or does pepling openvpn client support split tinneling, and if i can’t do it with a soho mk3 can i do it with a balance 20?

Just curious – Are the result with ProtonVPN with the free or paid version?

With the paid version.

I see from another post that the Surf SOHO only supports one WAN at a time, so I’ll close this thread.

I submitted a ticket on this and received a response that might help others. It appears that the Surf SOHO MK3 just doesn’t have the horsepower necessary for achieving much more than 10 Mbps with an OpenVPN connection using AES-256 encryption. Fortunately, I seldom have more than one active stream at a time so I should be OK - but it would have been nice to have a bit of headroom for the occasions when I might need to run 2 or 3 concurrent streams.

2 Likes

One more update. I inquired about throughput of a Balance One and Support responded that you can expect 28 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up. That plus the ability to support 2 WANs should make that a better solution for use cases like mine. I’m also told on good authority (thanks, Rick!) That the Balance 20x is an even better solution. I’ll probably stick with the SOHO for now but if my requirements change I’ll seriously look at one of the other options.

2 Likes

Thanks for passing along the VPN speed info.

You’re welcome. I thought it was important to share, as 10 Mbps throughput would be a real show stopper for many folks.

I have an update on this issue that might assist anyone in this same situation. I hope what I’m going to relate doesn’t violate any community rules - if so, I apologize and please feel free to remove this post.

I originally resolved my issue with splitting traffic by putting a second router in front of my Surf SOHO and daisy chaining them together via a LAN port on the second router. I connected streaming devices where throughput was more important than security to the second router. I connected computers, tablets and phones where security was more of an issue to the Surf SOHO.

This worked OK, but I still had the issue of slow throughput on the Surf SOHO and I was concerned about a lack of firmware updates available on the second router, as it was beyond end of life. It looked like my options were to shell out considerable money for a Balance 20X - which would allow me to split traffic between my ISP WAN and an OpenVPN WAN with better throughput - or purchase a recent model router to put in front of the Surf SOHO, which would resolve the firmware support issue but still leave me with slow VPN throughput on the Surf SOHO. Neither was particularly attractive as, except for the throughput issue, I’ve been very pleased with the Surf SOHO.

In reviewing the ProtonVPN site for any tips for speeding things up, I noted that they have a partnership with InvizBox. After some research, I purchased an InvizBox 2 and hooked it up earlier this week. It simply plugs into a LAN port on the Surf SOHO. After entering my ProtonVPN credentials and making a few configuration changes, I was up and running. Throughput through the InvizBox 2 is 40-50 Mbps vs the 11 or so I was getting through the Surf SOHO. Same Cable ISP, same paid ProtonVPN plan.

This solution may not appeal to everyone, but I wanted to put it out there in case others have the same problem and are looking for a solution. A bonus is the ease of switching networks to the Surf SOHO when I run across the occasional website that doesn’t like VPNs.

1 Like

I have a B20x with paid version of ProtonVPN and max speed I get is 15-18 down and 15-18 up.

This is a hardware issue with Peplink I think. It supports a lot and I think they just left themselves some headroom as to not hinder their other services like Speedfusion/PepVPn.

If I run ProtonVPN direct on my iPhone 8 Plus I can reach 40-50 down.

I tied an SSID to my OpenVPN wan using outbound policy so I can easily hop over when needed otherwise I stay on my main SSID.

What I notice more than anything on ProtonVPN is the latency. I can still do a lot with 15/15 speeds and a couple of devices.

The InvizBox has a quad core processor and appears to have the horsepower necessary for encryption/decryption. That’s the issue with the Surf SOHO according to tech support. I’m kind of surprised at your speeds, as tech support indicated that the Balance One was supposed to handle 28 down and 24 up, and I understood that the 20X was even better. I do see a bit of latency, on the order of 10 msec or so more than without ProtonVPN inline, but as you say that’s probably on Proton rather than InvizBox.