Splitting Traffic Between WAN and OpenVPN WAN

I recently installed ProtonVPN on my Surf SoHo. It works great but I’m finding a significant speed reduction compared to my normal WAN speed - 10 Mbit vs 60 MBit. This is a known issue with ProtonVPN and isn’t an issue with normal internet use. Streaming video can be problematic though so I’d like to separate my Roku traffic from everything else and route all inbound and outbound Roku traffic through the normal WAN, bypassing the VPN. I’m presuming that I’d do that via firewall rules but I’m uncertain as to how to proceed. Has anyone done this or similar and could provide some insight? I’ve searched the forums and the manual but nothing seems to fit this particular situation.

1 Like

This is my first post so not an answer for you. I too am trying to do this with my bytzvpn account: assign which vlan uses openvpn and which does not for roku use, or does pepling openvpn client support split tinneling, and if i can’t do it with a soho mk3 can i do it with a balance 20?

Just curious – Are the result with ProtonVPN with the free or paid version?

With the paid version.

I see from another post that the Surf SOHO only supports one WAN at a time, so I’ll close this thread.

I submitted a ticket on this and received a response that might help others. It appears that the Surf SOHO MK3 just doesn’t have the horsepower necessary for achieving much more than 10 Mbps with an OpenVPN connection using AES-256 encryption. Fortunately, I seldom have more than one active stream at a time so I should be OK - but it would have been nice to have a bit of headroom for the occasions when I might need to run 2 or 3 concurrent streams.

2 Likes

One more update. I inquired about throughput of a Balance One and Support responded that you can expect 28 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up. That plus the ability to support 2 WANs should make that a better solution for use cases like mine. I’m also told on good authority (thanks, Rick!) That the Balance 20x is an even better solution. I’ll probably stick with the SOHO for now but if my requirements change I’ll seriously look at one of the other options.

2 Likes

Thanks for passing along the VPN speed info.

You’re welcome. I thought it was important to share, as 10 Mbps throughput would be a real show stopper for many folks.