Speedfusion VPN blocked by Netflix, Amazon, and others

Just yesterday I paid the non insignificant fee for SFC and I was able to get it configured and working. One of the main reasons is that I am a US expat outside of the US and want to access the internet as if I am in the states for many obvious reasons. I quickly learned that some of my US based streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and even my Ring camera app) are blocked because they know I am using a VPN.

I understand it is a bit of an arms race between VPN providers and the services actively trying to block them.

Does Peplink attempt to change up periodically like other VPNs to get ahead of the services?

Or is there another setting or work around that can help me actually use what I paid for?

Is there likely to be any difference if I start picking different SFC sites in the US?

The issue is that streaming services block access based on BGP AS (autonomous system) numbers. This means that even if you change your IP address or subnet, as long as it’s provided by the same provider (e.g., Digital Ocean), it will still be blocked. However, you can use Private Internet Access or another client VPN provider on your laptop or iPad to bypass this restriction by using proxy servers.

If you only want to watch on your iPad or laptop, you can use TailScale to connect to a machine at your home. This setup essentially turns your home into a proxy server, making it appear as if the connections originate from your home. The performance may not be great, but it gets the job done, allowing me to sync up shows before a flight.

Thanks for response. I am a bit disappointed that a VPN is so obvious to various servers/sites.

At this point we also realized that we could not access Delta.com or the Delta App to make a flight reservation, we can’t use our Ring camera system etc. Oh and I can’t use my Think or Swim stock trading application either.

I must have misunderstood the whole idea of a VPN for purposes of getting a US based IP address.

If you add the speedfusion connect relay you can get out your us or a friends internet connection and do what you want to do.

1 Like