SpeedFusion on my desk

Apparently you need two peplink appliances now connected via internet to get speed fusion. I don’t have that ability. I’m a small business in a remote area with routers sitting on my desk. I currently have two ADSL internet connections running into my Peplink Balance One. But I want speed fusion as the slow traffic, as illustrated in your video, sometime blocks everything in “a lane of traffic”.

So what I’d like is an appliance, or pair of appliances, I could put on my desk that would let my blocked traffic swerve around a slow lane…speed fusion on my desk…please.

Thanks

Hi,

SpeedFusion is a a point to point VPN technology that can take multiple WAN links at each end and create a single logical VPN tunnel between the two locations/devices. We built SpeedFusion originally for the enterprise where a company would normally have a larger Balance router in their head office or datacenter connected to a high bandwidth connection, and then their remote locations would each have a smaller balance router with multiple WAN links (DSL’s typically) that SpeedFusion would use to create a single logical VPN connection back to the head office.

So when users at the remote office connected to the internet, all of the traffic would go out over the bonded VPN connection back to the head office and then from there out to the internet. Because the Balance in the remote office uses all connected WANs at the same time you get bandwidth bonding and great reliability.

So in your case then, where you only have a single device on your desk (and only one location - your office) you have two options. The first is to fine tune the way the Balance One uses your two WAN links to prioritise the traffic that’s most important to you - and the ways in which your WAN links get used generally. There is a lot of control available to you in the outbound policies section in your device WebUI where you can build comprehensive sets of rules to control traffic flow over your WANs to best suit your needs. I wrote an article about that recently which explains some of that.

Your second option is to use SpeedFusion on your Balance One (you can add speedfusion capability to the Balance One by buying an upgrade license from your reseller) and connect to another SpeedFusion enabled device to take advantage of bandwidth bonding. With the recent release of FusionHub our virtual SpeedFusion appliance, you can host a FusionHub with a cloud hosting provider (like Amazon) and connect to that from your office - just like a remote site connecting to a head office would in the example above. This gives you all the features of SpeedFusion for your single office.

I’m not sure where you are based geographically, but we have a number of partners now who can offer the SpeedFusion hosting as a service too - it might be worth sharing your location to see if any partners in your region can offer you that.

In the meantime, I would definitely take a moment to work with your existing outbound policies configuration, as I expect a little fine tuning there could really help. If you share some details about your network (WAN bandwidths, applications you use, symptoms of things not working as you’d want or expect) I can happily make some recommendations.

Martin

Thanks for your response. I live in Pecos, NM. I’m confused on how a fusion hub might work. Would this mean I’d continue to use my Peplink Balance One with two ADSL connections then relay the connection to a hub and then have it sent back to me? If so, I’d guess that would add quite a bit of overhead to my delay?

Thanks again.

Here is a diagram showing how it would work.

In this image the Balance device has two internet connections from two different providers. A Speedfusion VPN connection is created using both of these internet connections to connect the home office based balance to the FusionHub in the cloud environment.

On the balance an outbound rule is configured that sends all outbound internet traffic out over the SF VPN to the Fusionhub. When it gets there, the Fusionhub forwards it on to the internet using the high speed connection at the cloud provider.

As you note, because the internet access has to go over another hop or stage (ie the Fusionhub) then there is an small additional delay (or increase in latency), but it is very unlikely that you would notice this. Additionally, by using SpeedFusion you get all the benefits of internet connection reliability and the option of adding more WAN links (like a USB 4G dongle) to increase the amount of bandwidth available to you.

For you to achieve this yourself, you would need to buy the additional SpeedFusion license for your Balance One, a License for FusionHub, and then host a Fusionhub in a public cloud environment. Or you could speak to your reseller as some are now offering SpeedFusion Hosting has a service.

Kindest,
Martin

Also for your reference you can take a look at http://simplybonding.com/ who offer SpeedFusion Bonding as a service. They are really helpful guys and well worth a call to discuss your options.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your pointers. In particular how to optimize the Peplink Balance One Managing Multiple WAN links with Peplink Routers – Martin Langmaid – SDWAN Architect.

But what I’d really like is a Peplink on my desk that does speed fusion. If it can be done through the internet it seems possible that a lan connection between two peplink devices might be workable, maybe not with current equipment but in the future such a device would be nifty and avoid monthly fees.

Pecos Doc,

As Martin pointed out, there is the option of a hosted SpeedFusion connection with SimplyBonding. There isn’t a way to do true packet level bonding with just a single device, so using a Balance One with SpeedFusion connected to a SimplyBonding server, you can accomplish that. Give us a call or e-mail and we’ll definitely go over some options and give you some more insight on what that can do for you.

The $250 a month service charge is beyond my small business internet budget. I guess this is not so much a feature request as a hardware request. I’d like a peplink appliance or peplink appliances that could be link with a lan cable on my desk (not internet) that would allow true bonding so slow speed on one socket would not hold up traffic.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Ok, first, one thing I realized is, to even dream of speedfusion for my home, I MUST HAVE at least two speedfusion enabled devices, correct?
I own a Balance 20 balancing two high speed connections, and I live outside the US.

Let me see if I understand how this would work (logistically), for this example, I go out and buy 2 balance 210’s, I would then have to have two or more high speeds links, spread them between the two routers, configure a local/home vpn, connect speedfusion, enjoy bonded connection?

Please advise.

Hi Kelvin,

Please find the attached diagram below.

• If interaccess between user A and B. They will entitle 20M/20M via SpeedFusion tunnel.
  • If interaccess between user A and C. They will entitle 1M/1M via PPTP tunnel. The bottleneck at User C’s internet bandwidth.
  • If interaccess between user B and C. They will entitle 1M/1M via PPTP and SpeedFusion tunnel. The bottleneck at User C’s internet bandwidth.
  • If User C accesses internet via PPTP tunnel, he/she still getting 1M/1M. The is the bottleneck at User C’s internet bandwidth.

Hope this help.