Speedfusion Dynamic Weighted Balance, Starlink + Cellular

I’m going to try using Dynamic Weighted Balance again to maximize Starlink + Cellular.

How would you set it for best performance with the following connections

WAN1
Starlink modem speedtest reports
50-250 mbps download
2-15 mbps upload
~65 ms running speedfusion with WAN1 connected only

WAN2
Cellular
10-30 mbps download
30-50 mbps upload
~75 ms running speedfusion with WAN2 connected only

Goals:
1.) Benefit from the much faster upload speed of cellular
2.) Benefit from the much faster download speed of starlink
3) Have latency as low as possible
4.) Unbreakable of course if either connection fails

1 Like

Following this question. Based on what PepLink support has told me, you will not benefit from bonding when the 2 connection bandwidths are not within 40% of one another.

Yes, I had great results when I had two identical dsl lines to bond. Very reliable and easy performance increase with no downside.

I found with starlink + cellular I was able to set starlink download-only and cellular upload-only and got 60-100 mbps download and 40 mbps upload speed. However, with it set to asymmetrical, unfortunately the latency for some reason became greater than the highest latency link, instead of in-bewteen the low- and high- latency link as I had expected . So with one link at 65 ms download only and one link at 75 ms upload only, unfortunately running asymmetrical I ended up with ~85 ms of latency. So great for file transfers getting the benefit of faster download from starlink and faster upload from cell, but the increased latency was a drawback. (measuring the 65 and 75 with speedfusion running and only that one WAN connected)

So I’m thinking of giving Dynamic Weighted Balance another try.

I have starlink + wisp and have a similar issue.

Here are my speeds:
Starlink
50-300 down
2-15 up
50ms

Wisp:
38 down
38 up
10 ms

I only use bonding for select voip devices to make sure they are rock solid. For everything else I run dynamic load balancing with 100% SL 60% Wisp. Has worked great, I even see sometimes audio and video for webex going over seperat links. I sometimes use bonding if I have a super important call, but 99% of the time my main computer etc. are on the LB outbound policy and have had almost 0 hiccups. I am in process of adding a 3rd LTE connection but still testing. Using the connection outside of bonding allows me to get both upload and download benefits for services that spawn more than a single connection.

I am thinking of pairing my LTE+Wisp for the unbreakable section you mention and keep devices that need that on that network and those that don’t just use default all connections with dynamic LB,

1 Like

Yup. That’s also discussed in Peplink’s excellent Speedfusion whitepaper. The document is dated 2019 but so far as I know it’s still current. I’ll mention it here as a “recommended read” as many folks here are relatively new to Peplink and may not be familiar with it.

It’s hard to optimize when the connections are variable for me too. The DSL was easier because I had two nearly identical connections and the performance patterns were more predictable. It’s tough with starlink because one test will come in at 150 and then next will come in at 50. Or on the upload, 20, and then 5.

I have yet to have much luck bonding cellular with cellular or with another connection, but I’m in difficult locations so things are more variable than if I were in an easier location. It was very easy when I had two equal terrestrial connections.

For “general” unimportant (to me) traffic like facebook and youtube, I’m using the balance to send most traffic over starlink, unless there is an outage. And that’s working great for my secondary uses that are tolerant of connection switching.

For my important traffic though, I need unbreakable because the starlink is still having some days where there are issues, I need the IP not to keep changing, and I need maximum performance for tasks that are single transfers over a single connection.

SpeedFusion Asymmetrical with stalrink down and cellular up is useful for me. For things like a session where I am downloading a 50 Mb file, edit, and save (upload) as my work routine, it’s nice. I get unbreakable, and download speed is faster than cellular and upload speed is faster than starlink right now. But I wish it didn’t add quite so much latency to the latency of the highest latency link. Still trying to wrap my head around the latency of running it asymmetrical.