SpeedFusion Bonding + Cloud bandwidth questions

I trialing SpeedFusion Bonding with SpeedFusion Cloud on a Balance One Core, with primarily cellular WAN links.

Is the max SpeedFusion throughpout 30Mbps since bonding to SpeedFusion Cloud is always encrypted?

The speeds vary widely over time across the WAN links, and some may get throttled to very slow at times. How does bonding handle wide disparities in bandwidth?

What is the rule of thumb bandwidth efficiency for SpeedFusion Bonding? Just as an example, if I have a 1 Mbps link, a 10 Mbps link, and a 25 Mbps link, what would be a typical range for aggregate bonded bandwidth? Is it better if the links are comparable in speed?

Also, since there are no outbound rules for the bonded link, is it safe to say that each link will handle data loading proportional to it’s speed? In other words, that a link that’s twice as fast as another will probably get roughly twice the data?

Yes

When the transit attempts to push more data across a low bandwidth link, the latency will rise on that link. Subsequent traffic will be sent via an alternative lower latency connection - reducing traffic on the 1st link so that the latency drops. The transit will then start using the link again.

19% overhead per wan.

(1 -19% = 0.81) + (10-19% = 8.1) +(25-19% = 20.25) = 29.16Mbps

If it were in the lab yes. a combination of the lowest latency speedfusion distribution and TCP flow control would in combination end up utilizing the links to their capacity (with the steady bandwidth ramp up we see when using tcp).

However in the real world, you will see packet loss on some operators and latency variation due to over-subscription on others (along with bandwidth sharing too) and it is not the bandwidth measurement you see per link on speedtest.net test that’s important, its the raw point to point bandwidth that’s available between your wans and the wans of the fusionhub / speedfusion cloud service that ultimately is the gating factor to how much bandwidth you can get over speedfusion.

1 Like

Thank you Martin for the thorough answer. This really helps to frame my thinking about how to optimize WAN links with SpeedFusion. It also has me considering a higher-horsepower Balance :slight_smile:

1 Like