SpeedFusion: Bandwidth combining

Hi!

This product sounds fantastic but I was hoping to see what math formula could be used to estimate a bonded internet connection. From what I’ve gathered from this amazing product is if I have 4 30Mbps / 1.5Mbps links then SpeedFusion would use Layer 2 traffic to bond them together into a single link for a total of 120Mbps/6Mbps connection minus the overhead.

Also, if I did a speed test would it show around 120Mbps / 6Mbps minus the overhead or would it show 30Mbps / 1.5Mbps?

I’m hunting for a stable internet connection for work from home solutions in a rural area where only Cellular, Satellite and DSL connections are possible.

Anyone currently combining connection links and they have speed tests that would be great if you could share them. :slight_smile:

If this product does any of the above I would for sure market this to my local area for others to join into the fun!

This is a can of worms you’ve just opened… :slight_smile:

Officially, if those links are perfect with no packet loss, similar latency and can be loaded at the same time without any bandwidth sharing or buffer bloat being introduced by the ISPs then the calculation is sum the total bandwidth and remove 19% for overhead.

So you would - in the lab get 97.2Mps down and 4.86Mbps up over SpeedFusion VPN.

However what tends to happen is that there are very real reasons why multiple links to a location are low bandwidth. Be they 3G/4G or DSL or WISP, there is normally shared bandwidth at the towers, and in the cabinets, and old cables or trees that negatively impact received signal quality.

SpeedFusion VPN can mitigate for these factors but there is a bandwidth cost of doing so.

In practice then, what’s much more likely is that you would use load balancing for all general internet traffic then you would select the most important traffic on your network and use SpeedFusion to keep it safe. So VoIP or Teams calls or Zoom or whatever you need most to work reliably.

If you haven’t already look at Starlink as an alternative high bandwidth option to your multiple slower circuits.

2 Likes

I would love to get the big $500/mo plan for StarLink however they are not installing them in small town limits yet and will only install around the town.

Okay, so what I understand is that if say you get 4 DSL connections to try and bond them from the same provider; if that provider has oversaturated their primary link it’s possible that instead of seeing 97.2Mbps I may only see 60Mbps down and 3Mbps up and still pay for 4 ADSL2 links due to a contract in place from that provider.

So in that case would it be better to get 4 or 5 different service providers all together?

You don’t need it. Get the $100/month plan instead. 150MBps down 20MBps up (variable) is cheap at that money.

Its self install - really easy. Or call a TV aerial guy and get them to do it.

Yes on paper. In practice you might find that all the services come to your property on the same copper cable and that if you hammer all the DSL lines at the same time - even from different providers, that you get interference.

I’m not trying to put you off, I’m just making it clear that ISPs lie. They all say they are the best, the fastest and the most reliable when they are often pretty crappy. Speedfusion VPN will make crappy lines stand out like a flashing beacon because when you go to load them up they will fall over, or grind to a halt.

Its much better to mix, DSL, 4G and Starlink than 4 DSLs in my opinion.

1 Like