Specify a ip range to use wan1 or wan2

HI Guys newbie here,

on the Peplink Balance one can you specify a ip range to use wan1. so for example I want 192.168.0.5 - 192.168.0.50 to use wan1 and 192.168.0.60 - 192.168.0.78 to use wan2.

Is this possible to manually set internal ip to use a specified wan ports.

if so how is this done?

Hi kirpan,

if you seperate your LAN with subnetting or different LAN-Adresses, this is possible.
You can not give the Range from 0.5 to 0.50, but with the subnetmask it’s possible.

For the Priority Order you can find very good Informations here in the Forum

So build two Outbound-Policy-Roules - and that’s it.

Regards
Dennis

2 Likes

Hi,

thank you for your reply. If I set up a outbound policy rule how do I specify which Wan it should use?

Also how can I specify ip range from 192.168.0.188 to 192.168.0.254 via a subnet mask?

you mentioned to use a different lan range however how can i do this. I have viop phones which I would like to use via wan 2 so how do I have 2 different ip ranges on 1 pepline router.

I can program the phones to 192.168.1.X on a static ips but how would the router recognised them when the gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and the router is 192.168.0.1 on a DHCP.

Hi,

you can select the WAN-Port in the Priority Order. So if you want to make it fix - select “enforced” and WAN1 for example. (I would use it with priority, because if one WAN-connection failed the devices are still online).
As I’ve written in my first post, in the Forum is an explanation for that. I searched it for you Understanding and Configuring Outbound Policy

How to specify the range … use http://www.subnet-calculator.com/ for that.

Leave the phones in the /24 network, only select it for the outbound roule - that should be enough (I never tested that - but I think it works)

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

Many thanks Dennis, ok, I think I kinda understand.

so how do I type in 192.168.0.60 - 192.168.0.78 range.Can you please show me a screen shot example, really would appreciate it.

i dont quite understand what subnet mask 255.255.255.0 /24 actually means, watching a youtube video as I type. been ages since I looked into subnet mask.

If you want your voip phones to use a dedicated wan, just create outbound policy rules for the voip protocols.Standard is TCP/UDP 5060. With this strategy you don’t need to change your rules when new phones are provisioned.

1 Like

HI,

many thanks for that,

https://support.gradwell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/215553923

this is what the voip telecoms Gradwell recommend.

Attached screen shot, I want them to use wan 2, have I set this up correctly?

Destination should be any or the servers of your VoiP Provider.

1 Like

Is this better?

Gradwell also specify Outbound proxy 5082 . Do I need to configure anything for this?

https://support.gradwell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/215553923-Configuring-port-forwarding-on-your-router

I see Gradwell is a VoiP-Provider in UK and you do not tell us, if your pbx is cloudhosted or on premise. Anyhow I think you need advice from a local partner. I know a lot of Peplink partners also have 3CX in their portfolio. The setup of the router/firewall depends on the scenario.
Please find a partner here: https://www.peplink.com/peplink-certified-partners/#EU
Regards
Theo

1 Like

Sorry here now… I Theo (@ue-it) must have forgotten to mention me in this thread… :slight_smile:
Don’t sell 3CX (or VoIP in general) but I do support it and I have spent a moment or two working with Peplink routers as well.

Lots of good advice here. When I do VoIP I tend to separate handsets onto their own VLAN for the sake of sanity - this then makes VoIP handset service identification easy on the Peplink (as they are in a completely different subnet when in a different VLAN).

If you are intent on keeping a single flat network one way is to do as @dennis.hofheinz suggested above and use a subnet (of your main 192.168.0.0/24 network) as the way to identify traffic.

For example a subnet of 192.168.0.64/28 would identify the IP address range of 192.168.0.65 → 0.78 (14 host IPs you could use for VoIP handsets) which you would configure like this to use WAN2:

Or you could use 192.168.0.64/27 which would identify the hosts from 192.168.0.64->95 (30 hosts)

Another way would be to add an outbound policy for each handset MAC address - then you don’t care about subnets and IP addressing.

And finally you could identify by destination IP address or by application ports, but to do that we’d need to know whether you are cloud or on premise hosting your PBX - and I think its a pretty messy approach normally unless you’re using some sort of hosted service with a dedicated SBC/Proxy so the number of IPs is small.

2 Likes