Sonos Across VLANs

I’d like to add my voice to this set of feature requests. My decision to invest in Peplink routers and access points was based primarily on a desire to create a more secure network with VLAN isolation and control via internal firewalls. So far this has been achievable – except in the case of Sonos.

Please consider adding such a feature to a future firmware release. Many thanks.

2 Likes

Peplink Team,
I have multipe partners pulling their hair out because of this SONOs issue in marine installs.
Please can you make this happen? I have deployments where we can test it.

Thanks!

4 Likes

@MartinLangmaid
Please let us know the deployments and we can look at that. We do need to do some capturing.

1 Like

Hi Eddy. I bought a brand new SONOS One today to set up a lab. Would you believe - It works perfectly well across VLANs. I will now check to see what models of SONOS speakers are in use where inter VLAN control is not working.

2 Likes

@MartinLangmaid, would you able to share the model & generation for your SONOS One device ? It’s good that all know that model is working fine across VLANs.

1 Like

Sure. Its a SONOS ONE Gen2.

I had it on a dedicated VLAN (tried it connected via both WIFI and Ethernet), and then ran the SONOS app on my phone connected to the Peplink via WIFI.

I setup two WIFI SSIDs one on untagged lan and one on the SONOS VLAN and tried hard to get the app to stop working but couldn’t no matter which LAN segment I was connected to.

3 Likes

Well, I guess SONOS improves support across VLAN!?.. I am pretty sure we didn’t do any specific things target for SONOS yet. :smirk:

1 Like

My thoughts too. I will try and get access to gen 1 SONOs to test with.

2 Likes

@MartinLangmaid: Would you mind to share the VLAN config you made (I assume Sonos One is connected to a tagged VLAN) and maybe the sharing / transfer settings between VLAN and the untagged LAN (I assume the Cell Phone with Controller app to be connected to)?
Especially settings like Network → Inter VLAN-Routing (active) and AP WIFI Layer2-Isolation (active) and Guest Protect → Block all Private IP (active) would be of interest for me (values in brackets are my settings). Or maybe any Firewall / Transfer rules set? E.g. I activated network → bonjour service forwarding from VLAN to untagged LAN.
So at least with the abovementioned settings I made it, that my Apple Cell Phone found a Sonos One Gen. 2 and could stream to it via Airplay2 using the standard iOS features. However not with the Sonos S2 app, unfortunately. No idea what to do to get Multicast directed…

Hi TK,

Is this feature implemented now?
Haven’t seen mDNS or SSDP across VLAN integrated yet.

We have Bonjour/Airplay forwarding working fine across VLAN, but not Sonos (SSDP).

Thank you.

1 Like

This is available in 8.3.0. Please look for it at Advanced > UDP Relay.

1 Like

Anyone tested UDP relay with sonos?

I’d like t get more info about the setup, using SDX with unifi switches.

I’ve tried (Balance 20X) but without success in my home network. I’m a hobbyist so a “how to” guide would be very helpfu.

My problem is I dont have a Peplink lab setup to test it. We can’t afford to make a mistake while the network is live.