Some Questions Related to AP-One

I have some questions in mind regarding the new AP-One access points.

1- Is there any other optional more powerful antenna for AP-One like 8 db or more ?

2- Is it possible to attach the outdoor fiberglass antenna to AP-One ?

3- What’s the maximum number of clients acceptable on AP-One ?

4- What’s the maximum indoor / outdoor coverage of AP-One ?

5- Is there any receiver family product in the way with standard 802.11n (HT40) ?

6- Is AP-One access point dual band or single band ?

7- Does AP-Ones work with other manufacturers PoE or the PoE should be Pepwave also ?

8- Is AP-One access points 400mW or 500mW ?

9- Is AP-One made by Taiwan or China ?

10- Does Peplink Wireless Controller capability support Office-Points or only AP-Ones are supported ?

11- Is it possible to have the Incontrol functionality on Peplink Wireless Controller ?

12- How many VLANs are supported by AP-One ?

13- Is there any other access point solution on the roadmap with USB Storage capability ?

1- Is there any other optional more powerful antenna for AP-One like 8 db or more ?

We can provide you an optional 9dBi indoor antenna if you want to further increase the coverage.

2- Is it possible to attach the outdoor fiberglass antenna to AP-One ?

You will have to find a RP-SMA to N-Type converting pigtail cable for the outdoor antenna.

3- What’s the maximum number of clients acceptable on AP-One ?

Depends on what throughput you are targeting. Usually we suggest a maximum of 20 clients for a good usage experience.

4- What’s the maximum indoor / outdoor coverage of AP-One ?

Depending on the environment, throughput requirement, and client device capacity, there is no single answer to AP coverage. We can help you estimate the coverage case-by-case when you contact our team.

5- Is there any receiver family product in the way with standard 802.11n (HT40) ?

We have plans to release receiver family product with 802.11n in HT20/40.

6- Is AP-One access point dual band or single band ?

It’s a single band, single stream 802.11n at 2.4Ghz.

7- Does AP-Ones work with other manufacturers PoE or the PoE should be Pepwave also ?

The AP One will work with standard 802.3af PoE from other manufacturers.

8- Is AP-One access points 400mW or 500mW ?

Under FCC regulation, the AP One is capable of 500mW across all channel. Should you choose to omit the country restriction, the AP One can provide a peak power of 33dBi.

9- Is AP-One made by Taiwan or China ?

The AP One is made in Taiwan.

10- Does Peplink Wireless Controller capability support Office-Points or only AP-Ones are supported ?

The first release of Peplink WLAN Controller, using firmware 5.3, will only support Pepwave AP One.

11- Is it possible to have the Incontrol functionality on Peplink Wireless Controller ?

This is currently not supported.

12- How many VLANs are supported by AP-One ?

There is 4 Wireless Network (SSID) per AP One. Each one can be assigned to one specific VLAN.

13- Is there any other access point solution on the roadmap with USB Storage capability ?

Currently, we do not have plan to support USB Storage devices.

Thanks for your reply,

So if AP-One is a single stream access point , does it provide 300Mbps speed or it can handle up to 150 Mbps ?

could you please give me more detail information and pricing with the optional 9Dbi antenna for AP-one.

it would be appreciated if you send me the datasheet or anything you have related to this to my email.

Thank you so much.

The AP One has a highest theoretical throughput of 150Mbps. However, like all wireless gears, the actual throughput is different.

Details has be passed to my colleague in middle east. He will get back to you soon!

I am curious about the additional Antenna. Currently we purchase our pepwave products in the US via an online distributor. Where can I get the antenna? What does it look like? What does it do performance/signal wise to the AP One? How much does it cost?

Thank you

My apologies for the delay in response.

Strictly speaking, we don’t officially support a 9dBi antenna for our Pepwave AP One. It is because we are currently only certificated with a 5dBi antenna in our FCC and CE report, not with a 9dBi antenna.

My colleague was referring to the following antenna in his previous message back in March 30th of 2011.

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=22067

I assume the above antenna could work.
However, due to the fact that we are currently certificated with a 5dBi antenna, we are not able to support or warrant the Pepwave products when you utilize 9dBi antennas.

Please be informed that the AP One has the max power of 26dBm, which is much more powerful than any other access points that are available in the market.
If you need an additional coverage, I would recommend that you perform “Site Survey” first to better design the WiFi networks and consider adding another AP One with non-overlapping channel. That should definitely extend the coverage area. Figuring out the better location of the AP One(s) inside a building becomes a key factor of a better WiFi coverage as a rule of thumb.

If you have any questions/concerns, please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
Haruki

Thank you for the information Haruki. We are finding that even though the AP one is very powerful, it does not have quite the receiving capability that other products offer. We are having many issues where an i-device can easily “see” the broadcast from the AP One, however there is poor communication as the i-device can not send powerfully enough to the AP One to receive. I am even more nervous when I see the receive sensitivity of the new 5Ghz version. It appears to have dropped its receive sensitivity in half.

iDevices have always had very low output power and this is a common problem, the way to combat this is to add more AP’s or repeaters.