[solved] MAX Transit Duo doesn't assign IP address to Starlink

Solution: Switch was plugged into the wrong port on the router…

Hi folks, bringing this to the forum in case someone in the community knows of a solution. Obligatory note that I’m not even close to being an expert and am learning how all of this works on the fly.

Problem to be solved
Max Transit Duo router does not give hard-wired Starlink an IP address
EDIT: Selecting DHCP as connection method in router config results in constant “Connecting” status. Assigning Static IP allows Starlink WAN to connect, but Starlink fails all health check methods.

Current setup
Starlink in pass-through mode converted to D/C power (no router)

Unmanaged switch (known solution for port negotiation issues between these two devices)

Pepwave MAX Transit Duo

I think I’ve ruled out hardware issues:
Tried replacing each ethernet cable in the system
Starlink works with other routersPower source is steady, keeps Starlink on with no interruption in service
MAX Transit works normally otherwise
Network switch is healthy
Have removed all other devices from network with no changes (including RPI4)

I’ve think I’ve also ruled out firmware and reset as solutions:
Tried reverting to older versions of MAX Transit Duo firmware
Starlink is updated to latest version (and hasn’t worked with health check in the past, anyway)
Factory reset Starlink Factory reset MAX Transit Duo

Other behavior that may offer clues:
After factory reset of MAX Transit Duo, Macbook got multiple error messages about using the same IP address as another device on the network
After factory reset of MAX Transit Duo, unable to access router interface at 192.168.50.1 until I manually assigned Starlink an IP in the 192l.168.50.xx range

Other things I’ve tried:
Manually assigning Starlink an IP in the 192.168.50.x range and 192.168.100.x range.
Asking Starlink to point to 8.8.8.8 DNS instead of its own

Things I haven’t tried yet:
Ordering a Starlink ethernet adapter to use A/C power instead of D/C

Amount of gratitude I’d have for a shred of help:
High

Ahoy there Tyler,

You mean Starlink Dish to give an IP to the Transit yes?
The other way around is not the right way.

You’ve plugged in Starlink Ethernet adapter to the Transit WAN Port?
If yes, set MTU to 1500?

What happens if you plug your Starlink ethernet adapter to your laptop? Gets an IP?

Thanks

1 Like

Ahoy! Thanks for the response.

You mean Starlink Dish to give an IP to the Transit yes?

When I use the router interface to make WAN (Starlink) a Priority 1 or 2 connection, it gets stuck on “Connecting.” I think this is an IP issue, but I’m not totally certain.

You’ve plugged in Starlink Ethernet adapter to the Transit WAN Port?
If yes, set MTU to 1500?

Not using an adapter—I’ve rewired the Starlink cable to RJ45. That cable goes to a bridge that leads to my MAX Transit Duo. I’ll change MTU to 1500 to see what that does.

What happens if you plug your Starlink ethernet adapter to your laptop? Gets an IP?

Yeah, ipconfig shows an IPv4 address in the 192.168.50.xx range, among other things.