SOHO Switch

I would like Peplink to create a SOHO switch (5 port). I’ve had trouble getting VLANs defined in my Peplink devices working properly with third party switches, but the cheapest Peplink switch (which is 8 ports) is $599, which is 3 times as expensive as the SOHO MK3. Obviously, I could buy another SOHO and use that as a switch, but $200 for a 5-port switch is way overpriced.

I want to be able to connect a switch to my SOHO or Balance 20X and configure certain ports on the switch to be Trunk ports to allow any VLANs (such as a port connected to my AP One) and configure certain ports on the switch to force connected devices to be on VLANs defined in the SOHO/Balance 20X (e.g., VLAN ID 2, VLAN ID 5, etc.).

3 Likes

Literally any switch that supports 802.1q can do this… whether that’s a Peplink or not.

Whilst we do use Peplink switches in some places where the client wants a single management platform, or does not require any advanced features (the Peplink switches are mostly used as basic L2 switches at the moment) but in the vast majority of times it’s a Cisco Catalyst or HPE/Aruba switch on the other side and it just works.

In what way are you struggling - maybe we can help you get it working? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use UBNT products like the flex mini ($30) and US-8-60W for POE. They work flawlessly, but you have to run UBNT’s mangement platorm to configure the mini. I just assign one to a docker.

I have a MikroTik RB260GS switch that I have tried, unsuccessfully, to work the way I want it to in my current Peplink environment. Admittedly, it is probably 100% user ignorance/error on my part. I find the MikroTik interface and documentation confusing and less user-friendly than Peplink’s.

I have port 1 of the RB260GS connected to one of the LAN ports on my Peplink router, with the router configured to treat that port as Trunk and allow any VLANs. I want inter-VLAN routing rules to be handled by the Peplink router, not the switch.

This is how I want the RB260GS to handle traffic:

• Port 1 (this is the connection back to the router): allow any traffic in/out with no changes re VLAN tagging
  • Port 2 (connected to a Peplink AP One Wi-Fi AP): allow any traffic in/out with no changes re VLAN tagging so that the AP One can control VLAN assignments based on the SSID
  • Ports 3 and 4: make all devices using this port be assigned to VLAN 2 (such that the Peplink router will see them as on VLAN 2 and assign an IP address for VLAN 2)
  • Port 5: make all devices using this port be assigned to VLAN 3 (such that the Peplink router will see them as on VLAN 2 and assign an IP address for VLAN 3)

It would just be nice to have a basic (not expensive) 5-port Peplink managed switch that could be easily configured like the Peplink routers–or even managed by the Peplink routers.

1 Like

Hi, yeah I wouldn’t mind buying a cheap Peplink Switch to make things easier in the one environment. I’m trying to get an old Cisco 8-Port switch working at the moment without much success.

Stupid thing is, I can get these switches working no problem when using a Cisco Router.

I have multiple VLANs on the Balance 20 and I have set up a trunk port on both sides but can’t yet communicate. Got the same VLANs on the Cisco Switch too. However, the primary VLAN is set to ‘None’ whereas the other VLANs each have a number associated with them. Has anyone got any useful guides or tutorials they could point me to please?

1 Like

I agree, I’d like to see a switch (6-8 port) that works seamlessly with the Peplink B-One router, and be able to handle VLANs. The B-One router is $299, so a switch should probably be priced less than that.

1 Like

Hello @peppypeplink,
Outside of current range of Peplink SD-Switches, if we need a cost-effective switch that handles IEEE 802.1Q for small deployments (say, 4 or 5 ports), we have often sourced a NetGear Gigabit Plus Switch Series (GS105Ev2). Now, with the new Peplink InTouch, you can remotely administer these through the Peplink InControl2.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree - they work great!
Or else there’s also the Cisco CB-Range.
They’re good value !

1 Like