Slow speeds connecting to Speed Fusion for Live Streaming

Hi all

I recently bought a UBR-LTE for the sole purpose of Live Streaming sports events in remote outdoor areas. I have 4 LTE connections all connected to SpeedFusion cloud, using a Dynamic Weighted Bonding profile but the speeds are woeful when testing at home 12Mb/s Download and 6Mb/s Up but the networks on there own at the the same location not going through Speedfusion are 60Mb/s Down and 30Mb/s up or thereabouts, I’ve surely got a setting wrong.
Im hoping it can just be configured so I turn up at an event, turn the Peplink on, run a speedtest and set my video encoders bitrate to suit, knowing Im getting the best possible stable upload speed over the 4 LTE connections.

Many thanks
Glenn

Glenn, I am having the exact same issue with 4 connections. When i reduced it to two connections, it actually seemed to work alot better, that being said, it makes no sense why 4 connections wouldnt be better than 2. I have a ticket open with peplink, and this seems to be happening to a lot of people right now. I have also tried setting up my own FusionHub on AWS and getting the same results.

I will let you know if i get a fix from peplink.

I to have a UBR and trying to bond with Speedfusion - I specifically stated the need for bonding cellular to increase available bandwidth for RTMP streaming to the dealer I purchased from and they assured me it would be able to do this - pretty disappointed so far, mine is faster with a single connection than any bonding applied.

Not necessarily wrong, however let’s start with the simple fact that the UBR-LTE is a reasonable low end box with reasonably low throughput, the important number on the spec sheet if you are using SFC is the encrypted PepVPN throughput figure, in this case 20Mbps, so whilst your results are low they’re not a million miles away from the capacity of the UBR, especially if you are bonding 4 connections there is extra overhead with each connection added.

The important thing to understand here is that with SFC in use they enable encryption on the tunnel and you cannot disable it, you might have better luck spining up your own FusionHub solo in a public cloud where you can disable the tunnel encryption.

If only it were that simple - there is always an element on on site testing and tuning needed in my experience, locations are all different and can have vastly different service in terms of cellular, a bit of tweaking to the VPN config will get you most of the way there but to get the best results you really do need to spend a bit of time testing each WAN in isolation within the tunnel and working out what combination at a given location is best. Learning when to enable features like WAN smoothing and FEC individually and in combination is also part of this process.

See above, adding more connections adds overheads in terms of CPU grunt required to bond acros them effectively, and that overhead can be compounded if you have significant varience between the quality of each connection in terms of latency, jitter, loss and capacity. DWB does a good job in my experience of adjusting to these variences than the standard bonding algorithm though.

That said, yes the OP should proabbly try a single connection at at time and see if it is a case there there is a single bad link dragging down the performance.

That sounds like something to take up with the place you boguht it from to be honest, the UBR-LTE is not really a high end appliance in my eyes and we typically use the Transit Duo or Transit Pro for broadcast work without much trouble, both dual CAT12 boxes and the Pro has a significantly upgraded CPU.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam

For confirming Im not on my own with this

Best regards
Glenn

Hi Glenn, I may have missed that your UBR only has 40mbps of unencrypted throughput to the VPN. That being said, I’ve been working around the clock on this, testing different recipes of settings- and in my opinion 40mbps of throughput is plenty for a 1080p stream. I think i have it finally dialed in to stream from vMix and from my external encoder, out through RTMP to either castr or Restream, and Im getting some pretty good results.

Are you bonding to SpeedFusion Connect or your own FusionHub on AWS, Vultr, or similar?

What are you using to stream? ATEM, OBS, vMix, external hardware encoder? What destinations are you streaming to?

Hi Adam

vMix direct to Restream.io or a Yolobox Pro direct to Restream.io 6000Kbps max bitrate 50fps just using the UBR with Speedfusion

Best regards
Glenn

Hi ,I have the same problem with my to ubr that using APN sims, do any had some luck to use the ubr for streaming ?
And do any one try to stream with BR1 mini ?