Site survey question - what site for finding the nearest/best provider and tower?

I’ve found some that are “ok” but I’d be willing to pay for a subscription for the right site. I’m surveying with a BR2 and 82G Mobility antenna. I can synergize a BR1 MAX Pro but would rather know before I get on-site of which SIMs to carry.
-Lucas

In general, if you’re doing a survey, you should carry all SIMs :slight_smile: I use multi-carrier SIMs and I lock them to the carriers I want to survey. If you want to get an idea, you can use cellmapper.com but they prohibit commercial use (not that it can really be prevented in this case). Keep in mind it’s crowdsourced data and open for abuse/unapproved changes, so keep that in mind.

If you want actual good data, I use OpenSignal, but it will cost you. You can also use Ookla but their product doesn’t actually work that well and it’s significantly more expensive than competitors.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hello @Luke_Morgan,
This varies widely worldwide; some countries have better information made public from the carrier, though throughput and performance are so variable. That’s why we always recommend a multiple cellular/modem solution and multiple carriers where possible.

As an example, this weekend, while travelling, one of our local carriers had the strongest 4G and 5G services, though their network was saturated and unable to deliver. Meanwhile, a lesser signal-performing carrier in the region had excellent throughput as it was not as heavily utilised.

So always take these websites with the information on local carrier performance with considerable reservation.

Note that the URL in the previous post redirects to a spam site in our region. To discuss what best suits your requirements, contact your local certified Peplink Partner.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://mastdata.com/ (commercial) in the UK is very good.

2 Likes

I agree with @MartinLangmaid, mast data is our go to resource in the UK!

1 Like

We found https://www.spectrum-tracker.com to be pretty handy with finding the carrier and what bands are available in the region. Combine this to the likes of CellMapper, nPerf (Internet Speed test : Test your broadband connection (speedtest) - nPerf.com) or any of the suggestions above and you will get a more clear picture.

1 Like

All:

Thanks for the replies here and emails!

-Lucas

1 Like

I use cellmapper.net

2 Likes