SIM Data Plans that work with MAX Transit

In the end it is likely to be a matter of what you generally get, rather than the high points, I would expect. We are getting far worse RFnumbers on our connections, and yours would be lovely :slight_smile:, and yet we get speedy connections.

Visible:
In the FWIW category: I ran a speedtest between a rural device (BR1 LTE (not LTE-A) with stock antennas, Band 4) and a UpCloud-based fusionhub and got 20Mbps/15Mbps.
Band 4, RSSI: -75dBm SINR: 18.6dB RSRP: -101dBm RSRQ: -8.0dB

Verizon readings on the same tower:
Another device, a BR1 LTE-A (stock antennas) on the same tower but in an RF shadow: 40Mbps/15Mbps
Band 13 RSSI: -65dBm SINR: 9.6dB RSRP: -94dBm RSRQ: -13.0dB
Secondary Band 4 RSSI: -84dBm SINR: 9.0dB RSRP: -100dBm RSRQ: -8.0dB

And a HD2 LTE-A (directed antenna, but with a very long antenna cable run (100 feet)), the antennas being in the same location as the previous BR1 LTE-A: 60Mbps/20Mbps
Band 13, RSSI: -59dBm SINR: 21.6dB RSRP: -92dBm RSRQ: -11.0dB
Secondary Band 4: RSSI: -92dBm SINR: 12.0dB RSRP: -109dBm RSRQ: -8.0dB

And finally, a metro location, Visible on an HD2 LTE-A:
17Mbps/5 Mbps
Band 13 RSSI: -66dBm SINR: -3.6dB RSRP: -99dBm RSRQ: -15.0dB
Secondary Band 4: RSSI: -91dBm SINR: -2.0dB RSRP: -116dBm RSRQ: -17.0dB

Make of it what you will :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Z

Very interesting. Thank you again for these test results. I’ll compile similar tests results over the next few weeks and post here.

Turn off band 13 (and possible superset 4) and let the router aggregate two band 66s if you have towers that deploy 66. This is the least saturated band, particularly in rural locations. Almost all of the standard equipment with no ability to specify and lock bands will go with 13 and sometimes 4 (superset), in that order. Band 66 is less common but deploys in 10x10 blocks. If you can reach it, it may be good for you.

Same with AT&T. Turn off band 4,12, 14, and 66, and let the router aggregate two band 2s. It’s worth a try.

Summary: Lock Verizon to band 66 and AT&T to band 2.

Thank you @joelbean. I’ll definitely be giving this a try.

Let me know what you find. I’ve recommended this to a few people that live near me and they have had great results. I’m rural so can’t speak for how these bands would work in more urban settings. Are you in a high-density population area?

Will do. I’m in South Austin, TX. Pretty dense I’d say.

Adding some data. Mostly backs up what’s known. So nothing new / earth shattering. :stuck_out_tongue:

Visible:
-via- my Cellular 2 slot A with stock porcupine antenna in the DEN metro area.
( 58.71Mbps Down, 15.38Mbps Up )
Band 66 RSSI: -83dBm SINR: 3.4dB RSRP: -108dBm RSRQ: -14.0dB
Secondary Band 66 RSSI: -94dBm SINR: 3.0dB RSRP: -115dBm RSRQ: -15.0dB

@joelbean I did some test and your recommendation did show some improvement, but my results are not consistent enough to conclude much at this point. I’m focused on AT&T at the moment. My speedtest.net result range from <10Mbps to >45Mbps. Even on the same band the results are quite different from test to test.

For Verizon I’m currently using Visible. So, I think my result reflect the low priority level that Visible users have on the Verizon network. I’m lucky to get 5Mbps. Most of the time I find the best results on 66 as you indicated. I’ve ordered another Verizon plan which is supposed to not be deprioritized. I’ll test that and post the results.

T-Mobile is pretty bad nearly all of the time. In my area is it just a little better than Visible.

Sprint is one step above T-Mobile. However, I’m using a hotspot and accessing sprint via 2.4 wifi. Not sure if that is a fair test or not, but I get similar result when doing this as I do when directly connected to the hotspot wifi.

My goal is to have reliable internet for work while traveling throughout the country. So, I am trying to consider that my local results are not going to apply when I’m on the road. It is expensive to have all 4 carriers available, but internet access is critical for my work. My guess is that I’ll end up with 3 plans, but still more testing is needed.

I am having some fun with an HD2 LTE-A (distracting myself from writing a report about cloud computing security, which is what I really should be doing).

Setup:
Client: MAX HD2 HW5 LTE-A, 8.1.0 build 4943
Verizon SIM card in one radio,
Visible in the other.
Server: Balance 380 hw6, 8.1.0 build 4942
1Gbps fiber to the backbone

Experiments:
Run the WAN performance client against the Balance 380.
Each run (down and up) for 20 seconds, TCP.
Force a number of band selections, each pair of bands (for LTE-A) being exercised once for each radio.

This is all fairly ad hoc, and certainly no more than anecdotal in its import.

Chief take-away:

• Visible is extremely sensitive to the choice of bands.
  • The Auto setting seems to do well in its selection
  • Oddly, the “Generic” network mode opened up more band combinations for the Verizon SIM card than were available using the “Verizon” mode.
  • Verizon seemed to be far more stable in its speed, from second to second. Visible’s graph was generally far more jaggy.

The details:
With both radios set to Auto band selection, the Verizon card selected 13 + 4, and the Visible card selected 5 + 4.

A series of forced choices for Visible got us this (down/up speeds):
Band 5+4 result: 17/6 Mbps (the Auto choice)

Band 2+13 result: 12/1 Mbps
Band 4+13 result: 0.7/0.3 Mbps
Band 5+2 result: 8/4 Mbps
Band 5 (by itself - LTE) result: 7/5 Mbps

Similarly for Verizon (in “Verizon” network mode):
Band 13+4 result: 17/2.4 Mbps (the Auto choice)

Band 5 (by itself - LTE) result: 6/5 Mbps
Band 4 (by itself - LTE) result: 2.2/1.4 Mbps

With Band 13 turned off, Verizon did not provide LTE-A connections - only LTE (single band).

When I changed to the “Generic” network mode for the radio with the Verizon card, the set of bands employed by the Verizon SIM card expanded.
Band 2+13 result: 16/5 Mbps
Band 4+13 result: 9/1.4 Mbps
Band 5+2 result: 12/5 Mbps
Band 5+4 result: 13/5 Mbps

As a curiosity: When the network mode was Generic and Band selection was Auto, the Verizon radio picked 5+4 (the same as the Visible radio). When the network mode was changed to Verizon then the Verizon radio selected 13+4 (as previously).

Now - back to writing that report.

Enjoy!

Z

1 Like

Hey @paulbfelix (side track question) just wondering if your planning on running multiple antenna configurations and if so how are you / will you be switching between them? My son and I are working on an antenna array switching box to do something like this.

@akfoote Yes, I’m trying to setup multiple antenna options. I’m building out a van using a max transit duo. My plan is to use a poynting 7 in 1 antenna while mobile and where there is good signal. When I don’t have good signal I want to be able to setup a higher gain antenna. I bought 2 yagi antennas from Simple Wifi & Cellular and have them mounted on a 10’ emt pole. So, I’d like to be able to switch one of the two modems to the pole mimo antennas when stationary as needed.

I have not found a switch yet, but I did find an sma splitter cable. I don’t know if it is okay to have 2 antenna plugged into the same port at the same time or not. My father-in-law has a lot of RF experience so I’m planning on asking him how to handle this next time we talk. If you come up with a solution, please let me know.

If you add a splitter or switch, you will lose gain. I just unscrew on set of cables and screw in the other. I use Poynting 5G MIMO and Panorama 5g MIMO directional antennas when I have my router at home. I also tried, and returned, two large Poynting LPDA-92 in MIMO configuration - they did not perform any better than the Panorama and Poynting 5G directional panels.

In the RV, I have a Mobilemark 5:1 omnidirectional and soon to add 2 Peplink Puma 401s. I also have a Yagi and Weboost omnidirectional for my booster (rarely used). These are all on a telescoping mast that extends up to 30’.

I have a Mikrotik Metal 52 for my cpe wifi into the WAN port on the Peplink and am using a Atelix Dual Band Omni - it works great.

All in all, the MIMO 5G panel antennas are working the best for me. The are easier to aim than a yagi and allow aggregation better at the router.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for sharing this @joelbean

1 Like

Can you by any chance help me with this? I am getting my visible sim tomorrow and would like faster speeds.

“this” being what?

Cheers,

Z

Setup for speed fusion via a max transit duo.

Setting up speed fusion on my pep wave max transit duo

A quick search of the forum yields this link:

SpeedFusion is done the same way as with other carriers, nothing special about Visible. @MartinLangmaid has some good postings/articles on how to establish vultr.com fusionhubs (and the setup for my favorite provider, UpCloud, is similar)

Have fun.

Z

following existing guides/posts…

Hello Paul and everyone else.

Should I be expecting to have tons of trouble getting sim cards to work in my Max Transit Cat 18?

As a non-tech person who is trying to continue his voice over career (live recordings sometimes using Source Connect), I am getting this gear and a roof mounted antenna based on a lot of research. This set up seems best for my interest in boondocking and still pulling it off.

However, this thread is full of complaints that Peplink doesn’t even work with Verizon sims?

What’s the point in buying this equipment if no one will offer me a working data plan?

Was hoping to purchase the $50 T-Mobile plan and somehow supplement with ATT (doesn’t offer a sim outside of hotspot device) or Verizon (no sims except for Visible and low ping rate is important to me). I will look for third party for a Verizon sim, but can I expect it to work?

Thanks,
Brian