SIM card Bonding

Which devices of Peplink & Pepwave are working SIM bonding? Is BR1 Mini LTE bonding for SIM card?

Hi Thaw Zin Myo,
the BR1 Mini has one LTE-Module, so you can’t bond two cellulars.
Have a look at this

and this

If you look in the comparision table to that
you see if the SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding is available or not

Regards
Dennis

PS: Ask your certified Partner, they will help you. https://www.peplink.com/peplink-certified-partners/

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

So I think I know the answer to this, but please help me make sure.

I have a client who has 2 x Video cameras connected to 1 x Pepwave BR1 mini router. The router has a Verizon SIM provisioned with a public static IP. In theory this card has unlimited bandwidth and priority on the cell towers (government).

Prior to moving it we tested all of the NAT’s and the video flowed well (brand new so we had not “pushed” a lot of data through it yet). We deployed this trailer over the holiday weekend and after awhile the video degraded to the point where it was not really usable (view able) over the connection to the Video Management System (VMS). My guess id we hit a pre-determined usage threshold (25 Gpbs?) and got throttled to some level (unknown what that is).

My client has asked if we can put an AT&T SIM in the BR1 Mini (same unlimited data, priority, public static IP). My guess is “true bonding” is not possible because there is only one radio in the BR1 Mini (makes sense to me anyway). If true data bonding is required (2 x SIM’s adding aggregate bandwidth together with no VPN) we’d need a different router like a Peplink Compact Dual 4G LTE Mobile Router.

The goal is to use both cellular plans together at the same time to multiply our bandwidth. If that is possible how are the NAT’s handled? Right now I have 2 x NAT’s setup for TCP ports 80 and 81 (two cameras for Milestone VMS) pointed at one external public static IP.

Any help would be great!

Thank You!

1 Like

The BR1 Mini is an excellent router but it has a single MODEM with two SIM slots. Therefore you can use only one WAN at a time. No bonding/Speed Fusion. If you want two WANs operational at the same time you need to move up to one of the models with 2+ MODEMs. Then, on the other end you’d connect to a router with Speed Fusion, terminate the streams at something like a FusionHub appliance or the [free] FusionHub solo. You’ll find plenty of information on this right here on the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply…Not using Speed Fusion…just need to try and bond the two cellular connections for throughput. Can that be done outside of Speed Fusion or do you have to add it in order to get a true bonded connection? Thank You!

1 Like

My guess is this is a “no” outside of Speed Fusion…because of the handling of the traffic (like all the Layer 3 “stuff”) How would it know where to route the packets between the two IP’s

1 Like

So I’m going to be pedantic in an attempt to be clear.
If you want to use bonding you need a dual modem router (like the Transit Duo or a HD2) and you need to use SpeedFusion VPN from that to another SpeedFusion enabled appliance.

I do a lot of HD CCTV and Broadcast Video bonding. This is always using Speedfusion from a MAX HD or Transit appliance back to a FusionHub hosted in the cloud. The VPN profiles have forward error correction enabled which makes a massive difference to UDP video stream quality, and I then have a single static public IP abstracted in the cloud which I can use for port forwarding through to LAN side devices on the MAX without worrying about what the IP addressing is for the cellular links.

However you say you have two cameras, and two SIMs with fixed public IPs. so you could load balance in this scenario with a dual modem device, sending traffic from Camera A to WAN1 and Camera B to WAN 2. You could also then port forward on the respective WAN Ips to the respective LAN Ips.

However Speedfusion is the right approach here in my opinion.

5 Likes

I agree completely. But…none of these agencies are Pepwave “Houses” here in the US (but I’d like them to be - Pepwave Routers are my favorite!).

Sad to say, but these are Law Enforcement entities who generally are not setup to do this; hence what I asked unfortunately.

I will have to think about how deep I want to go into this with them. Testing is next week with a client with 40 single camera/router enclosures. 4G is pretty solid in most of those locations. We got Milestone to connect and stream so we will have to see how solid it is.

I originally pushed VPN, but that was shot down by the IT staff.

Thanks so much for the reply…Awesome use of the word “pedantic” by the way. Had to look that one up. You guys are great and I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Hi, new to Peplink and I am researching bonding cell phone signals for some faster data. With the Max HD2, is that all the hardware I need in addition to the two cellular SIMs to get a bonded connection to the outside world? Your statement of “and you need to use SpeedFusion VPN from that to another SpeedFusion enabled appliance” makes me think my thinking above will not work. Do I need to use SpeedFusion to get the bonded connection?

1 Like

Hi Dana welcome to the forum!

No. Bonding is a point to point technology. Your traffic is split up across two or more links - sent somewhere else, put back together again and then forwarded to where it needs to go.

You can either host your own Fusionhub to achieve this, or use Speedfusion Cloud which is a bonding service from Peplink. This video explains it well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p3P05N1NzY

1 Like

Thank you, Martin! This explains a lot.

1 Like