Sim card A back up Sim card B

Good Day To you all,
On our Vessels we have Peplink Balance 30 LTE.
In these Balance 30 LTE we have a dutch KPN sim and a German Vodafone Sim.
On this moment when the vessel is at the german Border the connection switch between the Dutch KPN sim and the German Vodafone sim and also the other way around.

my Question,
Is it also possible when the Dutch KPN sim has no connection it switches to the german Vodafone sim and when the German Vodafone Sim has no connection it switches to the Dutch KPN Sim.

So our vessels wil always have connection

I’m not sure if I’m understanding you correctly.

Do you mean that when you’re at the Dutch side of the border, you want to switch to the German Vodafone SIM-card when the Dutch SIM-card does not have any signal anymore?
And when you’re at the German side of the border, you want to switch to the Dutch SIM-card when the German SIM-card does not have any signal anymore?

I work for a company that supplies international roaming SIM-cards that support multiple providers per country.
I think our SIM-cards might be the solution you’re looking for, we supply these automatically switching SIM-cards to river cruising companies and broadcasters.
We offer connectivity in 192 countries on 728 networks.

You can contact me via direct messaging on this forum, or via [email protected].

We are already testing this
But my question is not answert with this simcard!
If for any reason sim card A is offline i want SiM card B to take it over

Hi,

There will always be downtime with your current setup, because SIM-card B has to connect to its network first.
SIM-card B is not in a standby mode, it becomes active once SIM-card A loses its signal and a failover occurs.
However, with the new 7.1.0 firmware, you can set a minimum signal strength for the Peplink Balance 30 LTE to deem the connection as offline and trigger a failover quicker.
The time it takes for SIM-card B to become active will most likely not change though.

I would suggest using a dual-modem Pepwave router, such as the Pepwave MAX Transit DUO, instead of the Peplink Balance 30 LTE (this product really isn’t designed for your application).
With the Pepwave MAX Transit DUO, your second SIM-card will also be active, instead of being just a backup.
This will give you the possibility to switch between SIM-cards much faster.

If you want to do it in the best way possible, use SpeedFusion Hot Failover (not supported by Peplink Balance 30 LTE).
When using a dual-modem solution (such as the Pepwave MAX Transit DUO) and SpeedFusion Hot Failover, switching connections will be seamless, without any downtime (assuming atleast 1 SIM-card has a connection).
If you want to use SpeedFusion Hot Failover, this requires you to build a SpeedFusion VPN tunnel to a Peplink end-point, for example a Peplink Balance router positioned at your main office.

Let me know when there are any questions.

Joey

3 Likes