Setting up multiple AP's using Pepwave Pro's

Hi,

I’m looking for advice for the ideal way to setup up a wireless access across a site, allowing wireless access to a LAN. We have purchased 4 Pepwave Pro’s per site, with the idea of setting them up in the corners (where they will all be wired to the LAN). Users will be using tablet PC’s to access the network and will be moving around regularly.

My question is what is the ideal setup for this case scenario, where the AP with the strongest signal is chosen. I’m under the impression setting up the Pepwaves to use the same SSID allows this but will only switch AP upon either disconnection or really low signal, which isn’t ideal.

It may be we have purchased the wrong the wrong hardware or simply need to buy an AP controller.

Thanks

1 Like

Will you be using – or CAN you use – a Peplink router to control the APs?

2 Likes

We currently have not purchased a router for this setup, but it does appear one will be needed here.

Therefore are you able to recommend a Peplink router for this scenario?

I’m assuming we can then use your AP Controller software, to control the APs as attended.

Thank you for helping

1 Like

Hi @efarrellrapiscan. It’s difficult to recommend a model without a lot more information, but you can find a cogent comparison of the Balance line of routers here — https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ . All have an AP controller built-in and even the “lower end” devices will very nicely control 10 APs. The capability to control APs is “built-in” to the routers – no software to buy.

1 Like

Hello @efarrellrapiscan,
You may find InControl2 a more simplified way to manage your Peplink/Pepwave devices, this is included in your devices warranty period and there are some extensive guides already here within the forum. We setup almost all of our customers systems using InControl2, then if they need to run without cloud management, we transition the systems out to local device management. You can also privately host your own instance of InControl2 within your network if more suitable.

To get you started with InControl2, you can find the InControl 2 Initial Setup Guide a good place to begin.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile: