Security Travel Router?

I’m going to be traveling and staying at some VBROs; with security in mind, I’m not wild about even connecting my devices to unknown wifi connections at each VBRO. I’m looking for a small, secure travel router that I can leave my devices connected to and then just only connect the travel router to each home’s wifi. I’d like the travel router to establish a vpn connection before any traffic flows to make sure that my actual devices are not exposed in any way to each unknown wifi connection and to be sure nothing leaks or uses each vbro’s dns, etc. What is the best option currently for sale?

1 Like

First, I could not agree with you more about traveling with your own router to front end all your devices. On my last trip I took an old Surf SOHO and was very glad that I did. However, a VPN on the Surf SOHO is likely to be very slow (have not done it personally) and its no longer for sale. Looking forward to the opinions of others.

1 Like

You really have a lot of alternatives in this regard. I agree with @Michael234, FWIW. I use a Pro 5G for this purpose and am completely happy with it. If I wanted something a bit smaller and less $ I might choose something like the Mini HW3. If I wanted the “power” but did not care about 5G one might select the BR1 Pro CAT20. One thing I would be looking for is both 2.4 and 5GHz wi-fi so that would leave some units out such as the Mini HW1-2. As I said, you have lots of options. You can compare the various models here and if you want a competitive price send me a PM. - Rick

2 Likes

b20x or br1 pro

1 Like

Any travel router would have to have WiFi as WAN. My understanding is that this is not part of the base purchase with a BR1 model, but requires either PrimeCare or a Feature Pack. Is this true? Thanks.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

When searching, now that the surf soho is not being sold right now (but hopefully again soon with a new model!) what keeps coming up is the competitor GL.iNet such as the Amazon.com

I wish peplink made a similar unit to this!

What interests me about this is that it advertises 150 mbps openvpn throughput.

It can do vpn client and server as well making it potentially a handy little device to have in its flexibility.

I don’t know if I fully trust this unit though and I would far rather use peplink devices where I’m more familiar with the software and have a lot of trust in peplink over the years.

I have a couple peplink devices that I could use, but not with that kind of vpn throughput… I probably won’t use the cellular, so it’s a bit of an overkill for me to buy the newest br1, but I may pickup one of the newer BR1s and use wifi as wan on these to accomplish my task, or wait a little bit for a new surf soho or B1?

Interesting – I haven’t been on the forum here as much as in the past and didn’t yet read up on the BR1 Pro Cat 20!

I’ve been hesitant to go too high-end after having some trouble finding a good plan for a max transit cat 18 a few years ago; older models like the BR1 mini just worked and kept working. “”

The BR1 Pro CAT20 looks really tempting!

BR1 Pro CAT20
PepVPN Throughput (256-bit AES) 200Mbps