SDX Pro Poor VoIP Quality when Using SpeedFusion

We have a large customer where we deployed 2 SDX Pro units in an HA configuration. They are both connected to 2 WANs from 2 different providers. The FusionHubs is dedicated is deployed in our own VMware infrastructure in 2 markets. Everything is on the latest 8.2.1 firmware.

When using carrier 1 as primary and no SpeedFusion everything is working great. No complaints. As soon as we turn on SpeedFusion using the same carrier 1 wan connection all hell brakes loose and we start getting customer complaints about voice quality. We also start seeing packet loss in the stats.

We tried bonding but the same thing occurred previously so we decided to give things a try with a single wan. The finger is always pointed at the WAN connections but we have no issues when we go direct without fusionhub. Both WAN connections are 1GB Fiber. Our core is multiple 10G fibers. Everything we tried is pointing to the Peplink and Fusionhub. What settings would one recommend if we want to try WAN smoothing again? I’ve seen many different settings and we are willing to try anything at this point to try to save Peplink at this customers location.

@edwinm ,

The given Speedfusion reports graphs clearly showing serious packet loss issue for the connection path between the SDX Pro WANs to the Fusionhub end.

Packet loss issue referring to packets sent from 1 end device are not received at the remote end device and we should check why the packet loss issue happen. We do see that in some cases it’s related to the QOS enforcement by carrier end for certain traffics type/tunnel port that causing the issue.

We need to check from your device using the WAN analysis tools to further isolate what causing the packet loss issue to be happen.

Found that you have a support ticket opened and let us check from your device and we can discuss the findings using the support ticket.

Hi @sitloongs. Thank you for the reply. We will be conducting maintenance at the customers site tonight to enable the second WAN, Wan Smoothing, and FAC. It would be great if you or someone on your team can join us. Please contact me.

Also, I am not disputing some of the packet loss that we are seeing. Our issue is that when SpeedFusion is off and we are just routing the traffic through the WAN we have no complains.

@edwinm ,

I have recheck from the devices after your team enabled the smoothing and FEC settings. WAN smoothing and FEC did recovered some of the packet loss and improved the conditions.

The packet loss is too bad that we suggest that you can enable multiple tunnels for the SDX Pro and the FusionHub and fine tune further for the SIP traffics using the dedicated tunnel.

I have updated the ticket with the guide.