SDX LAN Ports as WAN

Hello guys,

I have an customer that requires 4 Ethernet WAN connections (1 Gbps total throughput) and 2 LTEA connections.

In our design the SDX fits perfect in case there is the option of LAN to WAN in the default LAN ports.

Can you please confirm if this is possible?

I will be very attentive to your response.

Best Regards

JC

1 Like

@Juan_carlos_Luna_kan, currently, the SDX only allows the 8x GE PoE+ Module (EXM-8C) to be assigned as Ethernet (copper) LAN or WAN ports.

If the requirement is 4x Ethernet (copper) WAN ports + 2x LTEA connections using the SDX model, you may consider the copper Transceivers to convert the 2x SFP+ ports to make it 4x Ethernet (copper) WAN ports.

2 Likes

Hi @WeiMing,

we have the same issue. Difference is we need 8 WAN Ports (for 8 HD1 Dome) and 3 LTE, so can’t use the EXM Module. Even PoE is needed for that.
Is it a Software or a Hardware issue why this is not implemented yet?

Thanks
Dennis

1 Like

If you require additional ethernet WAN ports, please consider the SDX Pro which has 2x FlexModules
The ethernet FlexModules support PoE and each port can be individually configured as LAN or WAN.

1 Like

Hi Sam,

yes, I know that. My customer has some SDX without Pro and won’t buy new ones :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Dennis,
Just an idea you may have already considered (this is based on that your expansion port is populated with an EXM-8C and not an EXM cellular-based expansion module, and you are using three external cellular modems):

• Use the EXM-8C Module for your 8 x HD1 Domes (giving the PoE)
  • Use the two WANs for two of the cellular modems
  • Get an SFP Ethernet adaptor to allow you to use one of those SFP ports as a third WAN for the third cellular modem
  • Use the remaining SPF port as a LAN port along with the inbuilt Ethernet ports

On the other hand, if you are using an EXM Cellular module, then we give this a plus 1 vote (you may need to have this as a feature request).

It may be more than just a case of needing a new version of Firmware; there could be an underlying technical limitation on the base SDX model preventing using the inbuilt LANs as WANs.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile: