SD-Switch Feature Request - Allow definition/configuring alternative untagged/Native VLAN on a particulkar trunk port

This is a feature request for the Peplink SD-Switch.

Currently, one can set the Native VLAN on the swirch to another VLAN, other that the default of VLAN 1. This can be avciheved by selecting that VLAN as the Native VLAN under the Network Setwork → VLAN. However, this is a global setting - one the alternative VLAN is set, it will become the native/untagged VLAN for the entire switch and will apply to all the ports.

What I’d like is for a feature to explicitly set different native/untagged VLANs for different ports, e.g. have ports 1-4’s native VLAN set as 1, 5-10’s native VLAN set as 20, etc.

Thanks!

1 Like

@Chuck_Ng

Would you able to share us the use case for your setup ? Why you need the Native VLAN 1 (Ports 1-4) & Native VLAN 10 (Ports 5 - 10) ? You have multiple trunk port connection from different devices ?

1 Like

The switch is being used in our office LAB setup.

We have all our core network devices, including the SD SWitch, on a “Network Device Management” Native VLAN - this is rthe native VLAN/Management setup for all our network devices.

Separately, we have several Fortinet WiFi and APs, and each are on a different Management IP address range, within their own (untagged) VLANs. Typically, setting the ports as access ports will do, however, for a particular setup, the ports for the APs needed to be a trunk port with the untagged/native VLAN on a different native VLAN that the Network Device Management,

I am aware you can do such a setup using Cisco, HP Enterprise, Huawei and even Ubiquity EdgeSwitches, just wondering if Peplink would consider making such a feature available on your SD Switches.

Thanks.

Thank you for the info shared. This will help us to understand the use case. We will bring this to Engineering team to consider the feasibility.

1 Like

@sitloongs - thanks very much for taking this up. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers
Chuck

I don’t know if this has been brought up before as well. But besides the point that Chuck makes. I am wondering if it is in the roadmap also to add selective vlan tagging. By this I mean that now in the balance router if I choose “Trunk” the vlan option is by default “Any” and cannot be changed.
From a security point of view sometimes you do not want all the vlans on all the trunk ports, but to for example allow a trunk of vlan 1,2,10 to LAN port 1 while you want vlan 3-9 to be on LAN port 2.
In this I think the most import thing is to be aware that the vlans to me tagged on that single LAN port inside that trunk do not have be sequential (like in my example for LAN port 2) it could also be spread around (like in my example LAN port 1)
Is this something that is being worked on or can be expected in the (near) future ?

1 Like

Hello @rkuiken,
This feature already exists within the SD-Switch.

From withing InControl2 (having already defined your required VLANs) select Edit for the port you wish to modify, then in the drop-down menu of the VLAN select “Custom”, then choose the VLANs you want to allow for that port and save the changes.

VLAN%20Network%20Settings%20-%20Peplink%20SD%20Switch%20from%20InControl2%20(Rising%20Connection)

Do this for each port (or group of ports) you want to customise the VLAN Trunking for.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @rkuiken,
In answer to your question

Yes it is, the beauty of all of the Peplink & Pepwave rnage is you can do this from the devices web admin page.

I was little perplexed by your next question

Just to confirm we are in this thread talking about the SD-Switch range and the answer is yes it can be done from the web admin console, and it is yes also for the Balance & Pepwave ranges too from there web admin consoles.

Here is an image of the same custom Trunk VALNs from the web admin console for the SD-Switch

Here is how it looks in a Balance One router from the Web Admin console

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

thanks :slight_smile: yes well I already withdrew the question when I noticed the wrong product line :slight_smile:

1 Like