RV Network build HELP Needed

Hello all,

I need some help. I would like to setup a network for my RV as my wife and I are full time RV’ers and use AT&T and Verizon hot spots for our internet connectivity at the moment. We would like to start using Hulu to stream all of our TV content. Since we are never stationary, we need to use VPN to show that we are at a specific zip code. We are looking at using VPN Express. So I need some recommendations on all the components needed to get a secure wireless network setup in our coach. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Why not setup a Solo Hub for Speedfusion VPN?

Why does Hulu need a static zip code? That is news to me. And confused how VPN Express would provide a specific zip code?

Hulu and Netflix don’t require a static ZIP (i travel all the time with no issues). I would setup an HD2 or Transit duo so you can use both VZW and ATT at the same time. You can install antennas on your roof to increase the coverage and they have built in wifi. They also support WiFi WAN and ethernet WAN for additional connectivity options. You could bond them together to azure or AWS using FusionHub Solo which would give you a persistent location that your streaming from, however, for an RV goer, I don’t think this is needed.

2 Likes

If I may build on the recommendation by @PeterWest. If you are employing AT&T or VZW (but not both) at any one point in time then a BR1 would do the trick - it has one radio but provides for two SIMs, between which you can alternate as needed - you can then pick the carrier best suited for any particular location you find yourself at.

W.r.t. the hulu zip issue. FWIW I expect it may be a matter of what one subscribes through - streaming services may indeed be restrictive as to where your IP address is at (the most obvious example is that you cannot stream certain shows on Netflix if your IP address is located in Europe), and similarly if you are streaming TV shows tied to a local cable subscription they may be refusing to serve you if your IP address is not the one at the subscription home address or is not in the subscription ZIP code.

Employing VPN servers are a common tactic for avoiding these restrictions (to state the obvious), and the streaming service providers attempt to combat them with varying seriousness and success (also obvious). Consequently, many of the well-known VPN services or cloud services (if you contemplate installing your own FusionHub as a VPN server at a certain location) are blocked as a matter of routine by the streaming services.

So, in evaluating your strategies be mindful of the possibly short-term usability of such a service, or evaluate whether you can install a Peplink Balance at the ZIP code (with an ZIP-code appropriate ISP) and then set up a PepVPN connection between your RV and the stationary, private Balance VPN server.

Good luck.

Z.

4 Likes

I have used almost every single streaming service. I have traveled ~4,000 miles or so around the USA in the past year. I have never had a zip code issue. Its possible something has changed but I have used Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, pretty much every VOD channel (by logging in with home TV provider), HBO, SHO, Philo, etc. I did recently install Locast and that only works in certain markets I believe but an alternative is a HDTV antenna moutned on your roof. I would not over complicate. I also usually balance 2-3 WANs. I would recommend dual modem for ease of use, something I wish I had, so I could use AT&T and VZW simultaneously. If you can share a single example of a streaming service that is locked down to a zip code that would be great. Thank you.

Just to add a little clarity, we will be using Hulu for local broadcast tv. The wife is a big Seahawk fan and we need to have a VPN server in Seattle at a zip code that will match my account. So that is really the goal. Along with setting up a bonded vpn to boost the speed.

Thanks.

1 Like

do you have a home or friend in seattle? if so, perhaps consider setting up a sling box or similar and remotely streaming just for those games?

In that case, you could just replace your router at home with a peplink, then create the VPN to your house, and that way you have

1. a good router at home :wink:
  2. a source IP (you could ether use the BR1 for single cellular or a Transit Duo for dual cellular.
3 Likes

a good idea!

That is a great idea, we are full time RV’ers and sold our home at the top of the market. We still have many friends in the area with cable.

Youtube TV