Rural area Broadband multicellular Connection

I volunteer at the religious center at the hill area in the Yosemite National park. The max speed we could get from the Local Broadband provider is 12/1.2 Mbps only. So I am looking at the options to get more bandwidth as we have 10~15 stations and planning for 10~15 VoIP setup. Then I came across this multi-cellular router.
I have a few questions here.

1. Is the cellular provider allow this type of connections with this device? Some says it would be banned if find out. If it is this a case, is there any business plan from cellular provider which allow this?
  2. If multi providers is used, can the traffic be made allotments like split traffic 50:50 so not to max out at one provider?
  3. Will the famous VoIP services be allowed?
    Thanks
  1. that would depend on the carrier and plan. you will have to research. you can probably find something where you pay for bandwidth used, which can add up $$$
  2. yes, you can customize
  3. i dont see why it wouldnt be allowed? you’d probably want to setup some sort of QoS/priority for VoIP. i’d be concerned about latency/jitter. you might want to run a test before you go all-in. 15 VoIP lines does seem like a lot to me to all go over cellular. i have to ask, why not get a second 12/1.2mbps line? it may be significantly easier/more reliable/cost effective than cellular…?

We have been deploying Peplink equipment in Yosemite National Park for a few years, for residential use. PM me and we can have a chat (or a call) to review the particulars and the extent to which our (happy) experience with the equipment addresses your needs.

With some specifics:

The local cellular provider in the Park is Verizon - AT&T and the others do not have much of a presence in the Park (unless you happen to be in a fortunate and exceptional location). Verizon (and the other providers) have not indicated to us that the use of a multi-WAN router is in violation of their terms of service. Peplink cellular routers are certified on the Verizon network, so all should be well in that regard.

Yes.

And similarly, if you have multiple lines with a single provider (e.g., Verizon) then you can allocate traffic across these multiple lines so as not to max out on a particular line.

Be mindful of the experience that with a single provider, multiple lines in parallel do not necessarily give you the doubling of bandwidth you might expect. In the Park (and with Verizon) we have seen 0%-70% bandwidth improvement when adding a line to a multi-radio Peplink router. The bandwidth (and the improvement) seems to be highly correlated with the number of people in the Park and the time of day. I.e., general traffic congestion will at times dominate what bandwidth is available to you an adding another line/radio may be of limited utility.

On a good day we have achieved approx. 20Mbps up&down.

There was a thread on this topic some time ago, summarized at Live Event Streaming Setup - #13 by zegor_mjol

The additional question - will it work? Cfr. the above notes on limited vendor availability. We have not used our systems for VOIP, so I would be of limited use on that topic :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Z

2 Likes