Router's public Ip adress

Hello

I’m trying to create an SRT stream going out over the internet.
To do so I would need the public IP adress of the router.
I see the public IP of each WAN but I suppose using SFC there is
another IP adress it connects on ?

I need the destination to know what public IP to look for…

Thank you !

If you are using SFC your traffic will go out via the SFC hub public IP and use NAT.
Connect a PC to the router use OBP to route via SFC and use https://wtfismyip.com/ to see what the IP address is.

1 Like

What is OBP ?

I reserved the Encoder’s IP in the peplink. I have added a Port Fowarding rule on the port number towards the IP address of the encoder. What should i choose under Protocol and Inbound IP adress ? Only Speedfusion VPN or all ?

I went to wtfismyip.co and copied the hostname into the hostname of the SRT input in Vmix.

No luck still…

You may need to be a bit more clear about where things are in relation to each other here, a basic diagram showing where things are and how they are connected to the internet and potentially each other might help here.

If your’e trying to port forward through SFC unless something has changed I don’t think that is going to work as there is no way to configure port forwarding on the SFC hub towards your LAN IPs.

Instead of using SFC you may be better off hosting your own FusionHub in a public cloud provider like Vultr or Digital Ocean as that would provide you a single public IP to connect your SRT encoder to and give you the required control to do the port forwarding from the FusionHub towards the SRT decoder behind your Peplink.

Martin has some excellent guides on how to do that and if you have InControl2 for managing the Peplink and FH it is reasonably straightforward to build the VPN configuration.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

So I’m trying to get an SRT over the internet from a decoder that is connected to a POE switch and then to a Peplink Transit Duo MAX that is running SFC with
a 4G connection and possibly a WAN connection.
On the other end is a public internet connection connected to a PC that is running Vmix.

Does it get confused about the SFC and the IP adresses of the different WAN connections ?

When you say “decoder” you mean the device that is configured as SRT listener, i.e the RX side of the system, and the vMIX is the “encoder” as in the device configured as SRT caller, i.e. the TX side of the system?

If so you may just find this easier to flip those roles around, have the SRT listener setup on vMIX assuming you have a port forwarded for it to use.

If it must be the other way around where vMIX is the SRT caller then regardless of how you have things setup SFC will not work for you as previously mentioned it does not support port forwarding from the internet to devices behind the tunnel and you would need to build your own FusionHub.

SRT Listener > TST > SpeedFusion VPN Tunnel to FusionHub.

On the FusionHub you would configure a port forwarding rule to forward whatever ports you need using the public IP of the FH to the LAN IP of your SRT Listener.

On your SRT Caller you just configure it to connect to the public IP of the FusionHub on whatever port you forwarded.

SRT Caller > FusionHub Public IP:Port > SpeedFusion VPN tunnel > TST > SRT Listener.

1 Like

Sorry, that was a typo, the ENCODER is in fact the TX side which is
connected to the Peplink.
On the RX side I have no control over the port fortwarding since
it is a telecom provider router.

I have accessed the port forwarding rules.

• Selected UDP under protocol
  • Clicked single port and filled in the port I have in the encoder
  • Checked all the inbound IP connections and addresses
    Here there is a box that says SpeedFusion VPN, is this not the Peplink server ?
    It says NAT Mode IP Adress, what does this mean ?
  • Server IP adress is the IP adress of the encoder

So that isn’t going to work, as mentioned before you cannot do port forwarding through the SFC tunnel becasue Peplink performs NAT on the VPN hub for SFC tunnels.

You need to build your own FusionHub for this.

You would then configure the port forwarding on the FusionHub.

Server IP would indeed be the IP of the device you need to forward the port to, again you are using terms like encoder and decoder, that is fine but what really matters here is the SRT mode - listener or caller, they are abstract and not bound to whether the device is encoding or decoding, it just matters from the point of view of which device initiates the SRT connection.

As it seems you do not have control of the port forwarding on the telecom router then you need that side to be SRT caller.

The other side, which I assume is connected via the Peplink needs to be SRT listener.

You do need port forwarding, but as above this would need to be done via a FusionHub if you do not have public IPs directly available on the Peplink WANs (simply checking what your public IP shows up as is likely not enough as if they are LTE etc. then NAT is almost certainly involved here).

A potential alternative would be to use SRT in rondezvous mode, though how well that works might depend on the equipment you are using at each side, I would probably not trust my job to it though!

Edit:

Made you a quick diagram, perhaps this helps explain how you need to configure things but either way you’re not going to make port forwarding work from SFC.

1 Like

Ok, wow, didn’t think it would require so much setup.
Thank you for the information.

I will see what I can find on setting up a FusionHub.
I’m an AV guy and not an IT guy so it’s al quite new here…

Ok, So i found this video of setting of a fusionHub on AWS.
I got to the point where the instance is running but if i copy the IP
adress i says it cannot connect.

Starting to really get lost here…

Ok, Hallelulja !
I have managed to set-up the FusionHub on AWS and establish a Speedfusion to the FusionHub. Then I put in the port forwarding but STILL NO LUCK.
There are no more port forwarding rules on the peplink router it self, correct ?

Ok that’s good progress!

The port forwarding rules look to be correct.

So first I would check a few things on the FusionHub side to make sure that traffic is really going between the Hub and the IP at the other end.

On the FusionHub if you navigate to “System” and then under “Tools” choose “Ping” and you enter the LAN IP of your encoder does it get a reply?

If so we know traffic is flowing from the FusionHub to the device behind your Peplink, if not we need to look into why not (it could be that your remote device does not answer ping, a further check here is to ping the LAN IP of the Peplink too).

I would temporarily add a firewall rule that permits this traffic and logs it so we can see some system log events for the incoming connection attempts:

On the FusionHub navigate to “Advanced” and then “Firewall Rules” and under “Inbound Firewall Rules” add a rule that looks like this, now if you visit “Status > Event Log > Firewall” You might see some log entries if the other side is trying to connect:

I would also check you do not have NAT mode enabled on the SpeedFusion profile, did you configure this in InControl2 or via the FusionHub directly?

If you use Ic2 ensure on the configuraiton that this box is not checked:

Final thing I would probably look into is whether there is any security setting you might need in AWS to permit traffic into the hub, as your WAN IP in AWS on the hub is actually a private IP with a NAT gateway infront of it normally, I don’t work with AWS frequently so my knowledge of what is set by default is a bit limited.

1 Like

Ok, so the results of the ping test were good.
I can ping the encoder and the Peplink from the AWS Fusionhub.

I don’t find the NAT Mode in the FusionHub settings…
Is it in InControl that I need to search this ?
I found this in the FusionHub settings ?