Router for Trading

I am looking for something that gives me redundant internet should one fail that will instantly pick up. I already have Starlink as one ISP and would like cellular for the other. (that’s all I can get at my location) I don’t need speeds faster than 100 mb down where as latency needs to be better than 100 ms. (which it is with Starlink) I day trade and can’t have any interruptions. It will only be 1 computer on this and doesn’t require much other than a solid connection at all times. What do you recommend?

Well from what I have seen Starlink is not solid yet and has downtime as satellites move. So I dont know why you are even considering Starlink if you can’t have down time? I would consider it a Beta service that is not yet fully launched. Why not go for two diverse cellular providers? Read up on Speedfusion… hot failover, etc… You would need another device elsewhere, or use Fusionhub in the cloud on a VM.

OK, I see you don’t have any answers on this so I’ll “bite.” For your application my money would probably go for a Balance 20X. Check it out here. This is a 900 m/bit (+/1) router with a single ethernet WAN port. If, at some point, you want to add a 2nd ethernet WAN this can be accomplished with an inexpensive ethernet/USB adapter (although this combination “runs” slower than the built-in WAN ethernet port.) The 20X has a built-in CAT4 cellular modem but has an expansion slot to which a 2nd, perhaps faster, LTEA modem can be added later.

I think your application is reasonable. If you really cannot tolerate any “drops” one thing you’d want to do is ensure your WANs are pointed to either the SpeedFusion Cloud (subscription/license available at a very nominal cost) or, if you are just a bit more “technical” a Peplink Fusionhub. You can get a free license for the latter and you’d pay a hosting provider, e.g., Vultr, about $5 or so (if you are in the USA, at least) to let your FusionHub “live” there. (If you’re inclined, there are several excellent tutorials/etc on YouTube that discuss SpeedFusion Cloud and FusionHubs.)

3 Likes

I agree with Rick, Balance 20X, WAN into Starlink and then 4G as backup.
Use SpeedFusion Cloud so that the little outages on Starlink get infilled with cellular seamlessly.

Starlink is great for cheap bandwidth, and the combination of Starlink and cellular gives you both technology and operator independence / resilience.

3 Likes

MAX BR1 Pro 5G

If you want/need sustained speed of 100Mb+ using speedfusion you’ll want to step up to something like that. I have used some of the other devices like Max Transit CAT18 and Balance 20x w/ CAT18 flex module and with speedfusion I find it maxes out at 65-70Mb. Without speedfusion those devices can achieve decent speeds but they become slow when using speedfusion.

LTEA is not just about speed, its about being able to tap into additional bands. Personally, I find the built-in modem on the B20x underwhelming. I would personally probably want two LTE-A modems, or at the very least Starlink with Speedfusion AND LTE-A. One of the important data points missing is budget.

I have this setup.
MAX 5G, Starlink on the WAN and TMobile SIMs for the modem.

I can sustain ~ 100mbit easily, and when Starlink does it “Glitches”, Speedfusion figures it out without complaint… the bandwidth suffers a bit for those seconds but connections are never interrupted.

Starlink is much better latency for me, so I can tell when the fallback happens (Ping times bump up 20-30 ms). If I’m not gaming I’d never notice that, however.

The other night I actually didn’t even realize Starlink went down to upgrade its firmware.

Setting up Speedfusion with the new-ish Dynamic Weighted Bonding also shuffles most of the traffic TO Starlink, but it falls back to LTE transparently (see above comments on behavior).

It works well.

2 Likes