Route SpeedFusion Cloud connection to OpenVPN

Hi, I’m trying to accomplish the following in order to have the best of both worlds when streaming video using my Max Transit Duo.

1. Use the bonding capability of SpeedFusion Cloud to create a robust and fast connection to the internet and to streaming providers.

2. Route that connection to a VPN provider like ExpressVPN that can hide the IP of the Fusion Cloud server

Basically the connection should be:

My LAN > SpeedFusion Cloud > OpenVPN > Streaming Service

I’ve been scratching my head trying to set this up but it’s obviously out of my league here. I don’t even know if this is even possible. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,
You could do this:

Streaming PC [OpenVPN Software Client] > (Via SFC) > OpenVPN Service > Streaming Service.

But any device that needs to use OpenVPN would need to have an OpenVPN client running.

The other way to do this is to host your own FusionHub in the Cloud to provide SpeedFusion, then host a virtual firewall appliance (that connects to the OpenVPN service) beside that FusionHub and route all internet traffic via SpeedFusion then via the Firewall.

so: LAN > SpeedFusion > Fusionhub > Firewall > OpenVPN Service > Streaming server.

Hi Martin. Thanks for the suggestion. Having a client on each device is a no-go as I want to to be able to route all traffic through the OpenVPN tunnel. Most of the streaming clients are not PC’s, they are Apple TV, Roku, and some other. None of which can natively run a VPN client.

The second solution is an interesting one and is the one I was trying to avoid. I did play with hosting my own SpeedFusion server and although it worked, I find that using SpeedFusion Cloud would make my life easier moving forward. Also, the virtual firewall appliance and routing sounds intimidating to me.

But this is a great idea and I guess I’ll take a whole 8-hours to test and troubleshoot. So there goes my Sunday!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and I’ll come back after I finish and report my results.

Ha! Let me know if I can help. I really ought to put together a tutorial for this as it keeps on coming up.

From a firewall perspective I would recommend https://opnsense.org/ or untangle https://www.untangle.com/ (the free edition) Video tutorial here about setting up a tunnel vpn How to Setup Untangle With PIA Tunnel Routing With Policies in Less Than 10 Minutes - YouTube

2 Likes