Remote User Access trouble

I have installed a new Balance One FW 7.1.1 and am trying to configure Remote access.

First, i must say that I have 100+ Peplink routers deployed and have never had an issue with this.

RUA is set to L2TP/IPSec with Preshared Key and i am using the native windows 10 vpn client.

When I try to connect, i get this error:
The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify you username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.

I have the sign in type in windows client set to “Username and Password”

I have tried from different PCs, and tried re-configuring remote access from scratch with a new pre-shared key and user accounts.

Not sure where to go from here.

Lucas

In the Windows 10 profile open the properties and click on the Security tab. Click Allow these protocols and select Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2).

This should resolve the issue.

3 Likes

The setting shown by Zach is the default in Windows 10. Unfortunately these error messages from Windows are not much use in chasing the error because its the same message for almost any problem.

I’ve seen this error when the Preshared Key was not exactly the same.

I’ve seen this error when the remote site LAN IP range is duplicated at the home office, or another site connected to the home office via PepVPN.

1 Like

The CHAP v2 setting solves the problem.

Its strange, i have not had to do this on previous connections. I only set what was in the W10 app VPN settings.

I believe that something may have changed on the Windows side as I have seen this issue a few times in the past couple of weeks.

1 Like

Maybe a windows update changed the default setting

Hello @Zach_Tangen,
An observation from this week with Windows 10 & using IPSec VPNs, new IPSec VPN Profiles made in Windows are not working, existing IPSec VPN profiles are working, we are getting around around this on some of or support systems by editing the exiting IPSec VPN client on our support machines, what we know is there is nothing wrong with the Peplink side, it appears to all be Windows 10. Anyone else able to verify?
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

@mldowling

Do you mean creating a identical new profile from a Window PC that having existing IPSec VPN profiles are working will not get connected ? This is rather strange.

What we found so far for window 10 problems as below:

1. The settings maybe changes after window update.

2. UDP encapsulation
    How to fix the issue of Windows 10 not connecting to IPSEC/L2TP VPN servers | QNAP

Hello @sitloongs,
In answer to you question, YES, and we did not think anything of it until we saw this thread.
For now it is not troubling us, just an observation that we have found a work around for, we will check it again after the next round of windows updates (in about a month) and let you know if it comes good. Right now we can work with it.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile: