Questions about putting together the best system for a semi truck otr

Hey peplink,

I want to build the best to close to the best mobile system I can. And someone told me that mimo antennas dont do well for driving long distances because they have difficulty switching towers often and that I should get a we boost which is a cell booster with only 2.5-4.5 dni antenna.
I don’t know if this is true about mimo omnidirectional antennas? But I was thinking I would get the cat 20 router the br 1 max pro with the 5-1 peplink antenna and was hoping for at least a minimum 30mbps download while moving. Or if better 4 individual 15 dbi omni directional antennas.
If these antennas dont have this problem while moving across country… What is better?
The peplink 5-1 or 4 individual 15 dbi antennas.

Please do comment,

Thank you.

best system?

multi-cellular peplink with mutliple modems. have a SIM for each major carrier (verizon, at&t, t-mobile), throw-in starlink RV.

really whats your budget? you can spend thousands on a peplink and thousands per year on carrier fees.

Oh,

Starlink looks like its great if it can maintain at least 30mbps while moving and can get at least 300 gigs of data a month.
But its not so good for Midwest. And that’s where I’m at most the time. Midwest to east coast. Mostly Midwest. If I go to west coast I will look into starlink.
So yes a cellular plan. I found a uncapped high-speed plan with no network throttling from a version partner so its on the version network. 300 gigs high-speed for 150 a month.
I see peplink has the transit router that has a dual modem dual sim slot that can switch between a version sim and at&t depending on what is closest tower.
It doesn’t have cat 20 but still should be able to get at least 30mbps.
My question is more based on the antenna to use.
Most antennas are on 2.5-4.5 dbi used for semis on cell boosters. I was wondering if these omnidirectional antennas that some boost 10 DBI others 12 and 15 DBI work well at switching towers while mobile. Or the 5-1 peplink antenna with 4mimo carrier aggregation.
Individual antennas with higher DBI or the 5-1 peplink. Or just the traditional er boost because these antennas dont do well while moving.
And someone told me that ever antenna added around 4-6dbi is 10mbps increase. So 4 antennas at 15 DBI should at least get a minimum 30mbps? 15 DBI range is 2 miles listed by some sources?

Anyone have advanced antenna knowledge for omnidirectional antennas to he used while moving 70mph and switching towers often.

Thank you for the knowledge of starlink.

I will try it out on the west coast.
And budget is going to spend a a few thousand. 1000-2000 for router. And about 100-300 per antenna. 4-8 antennas.
Or just the one peplink 5-1

Thank you.

but what is your monthly budget? you can easily spend $100+ per cellular provider (x3) plus starlink = can be almost $500/month for rock solid connectivity.

Oh I know,

Isn’t that some bullshit. These companies should offer higher hotspot data plans direct from them. They have unlimited data for mobile photos that you can connect a 4k monitor too and stream 4k movies/TV to with unlimited data… Type c to type c monitor with a 3.2 gen type c cable 4k at 60hz (HDMI for 120hz)…
So I don’t see why it would be a problem to have a TB hotspot plan at least. For around the same price as a unlimited phone plan with high-speed.

So yes your right it is expensive for a personal use. 500+ 

Should be more around 150-200.
50-70 per tb plan from each carrier direct from them with high-speed data sure be nice. But unfortunately there isn’t.
I’m going to start with the version 300gb for $150 from the partnered company and maybe see if I can find a similar at&t for around that to use in the duel modem duel sim router.
But is there a triple modem triple sim card slot router from peplink or somewhere so a t mobile can be used? Because if its multiple routers one per each carrier then its multiple internet hotspots or Ethernet connections to one PC/laptop. It isnt on one link that is switched automatically by the duel modem future in one router with duel sim slot. The software does that.
I don’t have a software for separate devices and if I switch it manually I will loss connection and then have to regain connection on another available internet.
So if there is not triple modem triple slot sim. Or a software. Then it is only the duel modem duel sim slot transit router from peplink. With version and at&t. For around 300 a month.
Then star link might be useful if on west coast but the transit modem might work well enough. Unless in the desert. Then starlink it is… Which a lot of the west coast is desert. So thank you for that knowledge of this company.

The only thing left to figure out is the antenna situation.

peplink mobility

Yes that's the 5-1 I was talking about well 7-1 it is. Its a 8dbi antenna with 4x4 mimo cellular and 2x2 mimo WiFi.

I don’t know why someone told me mimo doesn’t do well changing towers often from traveling and to get the we boost for single that’s a cell booster and just use the cell phone as hotspot.
Single antenna isn’t mimo.

Maybe this product claiming mobility has something done to it so that it is meant to travel with while using.
     I'm going to buy it and test it out.

If it isn’t performing I’m going to try the cell-fi (cell booster) over the we boost. Its stronger an bigger area output (15k square feet)
If that doesn’t perform well then its going to try single omnidirectional antennas with the highest DBI I can find 10-15dbi that are compatible with peplink router. And see how that works. ( double the range)
I will be looking into the star link in the coming year when I go out west.

Thank you.

If anyone has already tested this and wants to save me thousands. Please do comment.
  -Peplink max transit pro.

-peplink 42g mobility.
Test.

If not performing at minimum 30mbps going to try other things. Get back within a few months

i wouldnt get a booster.

what do you need 30mbps for?

it will be highly variable based on so many variables. time of day, cell tower, other users. no way anyone can gaurantee you any mbps on any service.

if you want rock solid connectivity you need a multi-WAN/multi-modem device and need to run multiple WANs simultaneously with Speedfusion.

Oh?

So does that mean more then one cellular modem. So three cellular modems (onr for each major carrier) with one peplink mobile 7-1 antenna for each, so three antennas in total. That is plugged into a router with at least 3 wan ports?
Then Ethernet cabled to the PC.
And the speed fusion software should combine all three modems and antennas.
Plus I could wan in a star link antenna and service.
The speed fusion software can do all that? If I am understanding this properly?

-Two max br1 pro cellular router with one 42g peplink mobile for each one. (They have a single wan port to use).
Then those two routers wan plugged into the,

• max br2 pro (has multiple wan ports) and put the version sim in this router with at&t and T-Mobile in the other two max br1 routers. And looks like the br2 has 8 antennas ports. So two 4x4 carrier aggregation antennas or if they make a 8x8 antenna.

Yeah?

If your doing multiple cellular plans the BR2 Pro is your best bet. Plus you have room to grow or add Starlink over ethernet.

I would recommend a 4x1 and 6x1 mimo roof mount antennas. (8LTE and 2WIFI). Use the roof mount antenna for wifi-wan. Do not use the same device for wifi-wan and wifi-AP. Deploy a seperate dedicated wireless AP inside your rig.

1 Like