Question on Basic DNS Setup

Surf Soho, version 7.0.1 with one Windows 8.1 computer, FTTH fiber service. Is it correct to say the the SOHO keeps its own DNS database based on previous lookups? I am confused how to set the computer’s network properties DNS. Should the computer be set to “Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically”? OR, should the computer properties specify the internal IP of the router - then let the router settings determine which DNS server to use?

Thank you!
Sparky5

Leave the clients on auto DHCP/DNS, but I always set the routers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are Googles primary DNS servers and highly reliable. That way you avoid local servers which may be problematic or unobtainable and their redirects. If you can’t reach the Google servers then the world has likely ended! :frowning:

Maybe I was not clear enough. Yes, I have operated the Soho for over a year with router DNS settings for OpenDNS. My first question was whether Surf Soho makes a DNS list or database to speed up common dns requests? I believe the Balance routers offer this feature.

To non-network people, it isn’t obvious what the Windows IPV4 Properties actually does when set to “Automatic”. Will it automatically find the lookup table which might be in the router? Or is the router transparent for the network dns requests? I suppose it is wise to prevent multiple levels of dns “automatic” settings.

In any case I can see that having a small dns database in the router is very practical for daily IP destinations, but needs to be updated from time to time.

Am I in the minority when I hesitate to use Mr. Google’s DNS?

Sparky5

The surf soho can function as a DNS server, or not. Your choice. Windows has its own DNS cache, separate from any in the router.

Nice thing about using router as as DNS server, is that you get to configure some stuff. Like facebook.com is assigned to 127.0.0.1 so it never appears on your LAN.

On a related note, the surf soho can also impose its will on all connected devices. That is, they will use the DNS servers you put into the router, even if they have hard coded other DNS servers. A number of higher end router products can do this.

As for avoiding Google DNS, you are not in the minority.

Michael, thanks for your comments. I could not glean the information you mentioned by reading the manual. The manual does not mention that the router can store commonly accessed IP’s. It only states that the router can be registered with a dynamic DNS service in order that the router can be seen and accessed externally by others. Perhaps this feature is available on the Balance series, as it would be convenient to keep the IP for common searches in the router - at least it seems so to an inexperienced networking guy like me. As you said, Windows has its own DNS cashe which can be a mess under certain conditions. I’ve had to flush it at times to get the network to function.
Regards,
Sparky5