Question about Peplink 20 features

In the feature list, it states that there is no Inbound Load Balancing on 20/30. What kind of limitation does this pose with the two wan setup? All we need is a setup that combined the bandwidth of two ISPs and make sure that it can dynamically balance the bandwidth and switch to connection that’s UP when one goes down.

Other question is that the list states there is no Web Blocking. Is that some sort of advanced web blocking that or it doesn’t have any web blocking at all?

Last question, in the live demo, I noticed WiFi settings. We need to use a wifi access point in our network, behind a switch. Does this setting have anything to do with the internal wifi? Or do we just set up the access point (or router) by itself independently.

We are seriously considering Peplink, due to grim reviews most other brands have, like netgear, linksys, etc… So far most reviews for Peplink seem to be good.

Sounds like we are looking to use Peplink for outbound load balancing only. If you do not have any server sitting on LAN that will be accessed from the Internet then we won’t need Inbound Load Balancing.

Web blocking is an advance feature on Peplink and is available on selected models but still with a Balance 20 you can use the built-in firewall to block IP addresses.

The Wi-Fi setting you are looking at is for our WLAN Controller feature - it is an integrated WLAN solution with our AP One access points and is available on selected models. If you want to use Peplink with your other access points, yes you can simply configure the access point independently and plug it to a Peplink LAN port.

All in all I think Peplink Balance 20 would be a good fit for you but of course feel free to have a look at our other models and see if there is a feature that fits. Built-in PPTP VPN Server available on Balance 210 and up is quite handy for SMB.

Thanks for the information. The IP blocking is very difficult to use since most sites nowadays use various IP addresses. Most of the sites that needs to be blocked are major gaming, video, shopping, and download sites. For example checking IP of Youtube, it shows up a different IP address every few minutes, and worst of all, most of the IP addresses very close to Google’s IP address. I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually use same IP at some point.

I guess we can try modifying the name servers on local host at each workstation to point the domain to different address or just to loop, but that will be difficult to manage in case we want to allow access temporarily. Just wanted to see if you had any workarounds to this limitation (of course without having to purchase higher end model)

Thanks again for your response.

That is precisely why web blocking is available only on our higher end models and our customers are happily paying a premium for this :smiley: there isn’t a neat way to achieve web blocking using local DNS records and/or firewall IP filtering - one could easily bypass this.

Got it. :slight_smile: But paying $1,399 to block youtube is a bit overkill. Let’s see if we can figure out something else.