Programmatically creating configurations

Hello! Is there a way to programmatically generate a .conf file for Peplink and pepwave devices given a certain set of parameters? I’ve looked at the InControl 2 API, but it seems to be fairly lacking in control features (great for generating reports though… that’s my next project, so I’m glad to see that is available!), and I want to be able to upload the config into the devices before they are connected to the internet anyway.

Here is what we are trying to do:
We will be deploying a large number of Pepwave and peplink devices to temporary remote offices. Once those offices are done with their project, they close down and send us back the pepwave or peplink devices, which get reconfigured for the next office and then are sent out. We are looking to simplify the configuration process so that it is idiot-proof and we can have our help-desk (which is outsourced and completely clueless most of the time) type in the parameters in a script or program (which I can create if I have a way of generating or modifying the .conf file), and have that script or program generate the configuration. (Plus, the rule of IT is that if you have to do it more than 3 times, script it!) I could also do this if the SSH CLI interface were able to do anything, but as it stands right now, it is really quite useless in my opinion. (I understand wanting to make a central web-GUI for most people, but when you are comfortable with a CLI and that CLI has the same features that the GUI does, the CLI can often times be more useful).

If anyone has any pointers or tips as to how I might be able to do this, it would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Hi,

I believe Configuration Cloning in InControl2 should help in your situation. You can select a Master device and sync it’s config to the devices in the group. For example if the project closed down, you just need to reset the Peplink/Pepwave device. When you redeploy the device on other site, just make sure it is connected to InControl2 then Sync it’s config with Master unit again.

1. Create a new group and add Peplink or Pepwave devices into the group.

2. Select a Master unit in this group (Settings > Group Settings > Configuration Cloning).

3. Sync Master config to all slave devices in the group (Dashboard > Manage > Sync).

Hope this help.

Thanks for the quick reply! I believe that this would basically clone the same config to all of the devices in that group - correct? One of the other people in our department tried to do this through groups (and I believe he used Configuration Cloning), and it did not turn out well. We need to have some different settings on some of the devices, since if the devices have the same configs, it will cause conflicts. If I had a way of scripting the granular settings of the config; that might work, but if it’s just duplicating the config, it will cause major issues.

Thanks!

Hi,

Your request is not supported at the moment. Lets move this to feature request for the team to consider.

Thank you.

Thanks! I would love to see this feature soon, plus I can’t imagine that I am the only one that can’t have the exact same config on all devices.

this is exactly what I have been waiting for.
Also a way to set a central set of firewall rules and propogate them to the individual routers.
It would also be helpful to allow for a firewall that goes beyond just port based but application based. Since other apps can use the same port, one such example of a port over used by apps other than web browsers is port 80.

wanted to follow up.
We need some way of scripting configurations across multiple different models of peplink devices.
Everything from Firewalls, to service ports redirections to isp wan information.

Also if you can add some Deep Packet Inspections to the firewall it would be much better.

Hi all,

We have a plan to add the ability to enable/disable AP, firewall rules, modify SSID profile and etc via InControl2 API. Anyway I have no ETA at the moment.

Creating rules from scratch via API is a good idea. Anyway this is not in our plan yet. We will put into consideration.

Thank you.