Product FAQ - SD Switch Series - SD Switch 16-Port Rugged

Is the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged suitable for me?

What is the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged?

The SD Switch 16-Port Rugged is an SD switch that allows you to scale your network by adding additional Ethernet ports. It comes with a robust enclosure and fanless design, enabling it to operate in industrial environments.

Why should I choose the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged instead of other switches?

Unlike other switches, you don’t need command lines to control the Peplink switch. You can use InControl cloud management to remotely monitor, troubleshoot, and configure your network. The SD Switch 16-Port Rugged also comes with out-of-band management and LAN bypass features, which provides extra redundancy and resiliency for your network.

What certifications does the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged have?

The SD Switch 16-Port Rugged has the following certifications:

• FCC, CE, RoHS, E-Mark, IC
  • EN 61373:1999 IEC 61373:1999 : Shock and Vibration Resistance
  • EN 50155: Railway Applications
  • EN 61000: Electromagnetic Compatibility

Does the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged function with InControl?

The SD Switch 16-Port Rugged can use InControl cloud management to remotely monitor, troubleshoot, and configure the network. Using this can also simplify LAN management, as there will be no requirement for command lines.

What is the best use case for the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged?

The answer isn’t set in stone. It has applications from railways and warehouses to manufacturing and transportation. Click here, and together we’ll work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance.

What is included in the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged?

What’s in the box?

Along with the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged, there are: 1x PSU 180W (ACW-630), 1x Power Cord (ACW-614), 1 Pair of Mounting Brackets (ACW-756), 4pin Terminal Block Connector (Power supply), and a Rubber Foot Pad set.

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis (EssentialCare 1-Year | 2-Year). Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

What is EssentialCare?

EssentialCare is a subscription that bundles the Warranty, InControl, and SpeedFusion Cloud usage into a single package. Click here to learn more about EssentialCare.

Using the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged

What voltage is required?

You can power it by an AC adapter of Input of 100V-240V with DC Output of 54V, or simply by either DC power DIN of 54V or Terminal Block of 12V - 56V DC.

What is the maximum power consumption?

The power consumption of the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged is 20W for the system and 90W for PoE, plus the power budget. It reaches its maximum power consumption of 240W if a 180W PSU (ACW-630) is added to your device.

Does the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged support PoE features?

Yes. The SD Switch 16-Port Rugged comes with 8x 802.3at (PoE+) GE Ports. The PoE+ GE ports can empower the device connected to the switch and enhance the simplicity and flexibility of your network deployment.

How can out-of-band management features secure my network management?

Out-of-band management using an independent dedicated channel to manage the network, works as an alternate path to reach the network node when the network is down and traffic is not flowing. It ensures a secure remote emergency network access path to manage and troubleshoot the device when network traffic is down.
The SD Switch 16-Port Rugged is designed for out-of-band management. Users can simply plug in a USB dongle or MAX Adapter to provide an alternate WAN path that can remotely access your SD-Switch. This provides extra redundancy for your network management.

What’s special about the LAN bypass feature in the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged?

LAN Bypass (available on the 16-port switch only) is a fault-tolerance feature that protects your essential business communications in the event of a failure. The switch ports will be bridged together in case of a power outage or hardware failure and the switch will still continue to pass traffic, preventing an outage of the switch to take down other elements in the network.
Furthermore, LAN bypass enables a reliable connection of the switches in a daisy chain configuration. For more information, check out this video.

What’s special about the Combo port in the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged?

In the SD Switch 16-Port Rugged, ETH 16 and SFP 1 are combo ports that share the same port number. This enables you to use either interface without configuring additional ports on client devices, and provides different types of connectivity without taking up unused switch fabric. This gives users the power and flexibility to configure their switch for their unique application requirements.

How to configure ports or VLAN of my SD Switch 16-Port Rugged?

You can either configure your SD Switch 16-Port Rugged by InControl or standalone mode. For details, please refer to our User Manual.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

Peplink Partners are ready to provide support to you and all of our users, so always reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Our regular forum users include Peplink Partners, the Peplink team, and many knowledgeable users. Generally, folks with questions get answers rather quickly.
In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can directly enter a support ticket with Peplink. You will then receive attention from some of the best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no other.