Product FAQ - Balance Series - Balance Two

Is the Balance Two suitable for me?

What is the best use case for the Balance Two?

The Balance Two is able to deliver true full gigabit routing performance. Along with its small form factor and fanless design, the Balance Two is ideal for small businesses.

How fast is the Balance Two?

The Balance Two has a rated throughput of 1Gb/sec. You can view the complete spec sheet here.

How many ways can the Balance Two connect to the Internet?

The Balance Two comes with 2 x Ethernet WANs and 1 x USB WAN. While the Ethernet connections are probably the most commonly used WAN, the USB port on the back of the router can be used as a connection point for a USB cellular modem (show tested compatible modems) or an inexpensive USB-ethernet adapter. USB-ethernet adapters which have been tested are discussed here.

How many concurrent connections can the Balance Two make to the Internet?

The Balance Two supports up to 3 x WAN connections at a given time. In addition, users can enjoy unbreakable connectivity with game-changing technology such as Forward Error Correction and WAN Smoothing with Peplink’s innovative SpeedFusion and SpeedFusion Connect Protect. Users can purchase a one-off SpeedFusion Bonding License to activate SpeedFusion technology. To learn more about SpeedFusion and its amazing technology, click here.

What if I would first like to try SpeedFusion technology?

If you would like a trial on SpeedFusion technology, a 30-day SpeedFusion Bonding trial plan is available for the Balance Two and can be enabled via the “Trial” option found in the Web Admin.

What does the Balance Two include?

What’s in the box?

Along with the router, there is 1 x wall plug-in power supply and 1 x power cord.

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis (Essential Care 1 Year | 2 Year). Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

What is EssentialCare?

EssentialCare is a subscription that bundles InControl, Warranty and SpeedFusion Connect Protect usage into a single package. Click here to learn more about EssentialCare.

What is SpeedFusion technology?

Peplink’s patented SpeedFusion technology is a powerful VPN tunnel equipped with various technologies, including Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, Bandwidth Bonding, and much more. This functionality gives you the flexibility and tools required to achieve unbreakable connectivity in any vertical or scenario that you might find themselves in. Click here to learn more about SpeedFusion.

How do I add Wi-Fi to the Balance Two?

While the Balance Two does not have Wi-Fi capabilities on its own, it does support Wi-Fi via access points. With our AP series of access points, we can provide you with better coverage and speed with Wi-Fi 6 to cater to any of your needs. Click here to learn more about our AP series.

Using the Balance Two

Can the Balance Two isolate IoT devices from computers used for work?

Yes. This is an increasingly important feature as more and more people work from home. Users can establish multiple VLANs and control whether traffic is permitted to flow between them. This can also be accomplished on a “per-port basis”. In addition, a partition can be effectively established between various types of devices and users.

Why would I use SpeedFusion VPN?

SpeedFusion VPN is a capability built into the MBX Mini. It allows you to construct a VPN tunnel between Peplink devices. You can set up an unencrypted tunnel or utilize AES-256 encryption. For example, if you have an MBX Mini at the office and a Peplink Balance Series Router at another location, you can establish a connection between the 2 locations, allowing the flow of resources from 1 location to the other. You can construct either a Layer 2 or Layer 3 tunnel.

Is a means for remote access provided?

Certainly. Users have the option of using either L2TP or OpenVPN.

How do I set up Wi-Fi mesh?

We have prepared a video with a detailed explanation here.

Licenses and Accessories

What if I need more than 2 SpeedFusion VPNs?

By default, the MBX Mini is capable of handling 2 SpeedFusion VPNs. However, you can expand this capability with a SpeedFusion VPN Peers License Key, which can be purchased from our Certified Partners or directly from the Peplink eStore (5 SpeedFusion VPN | 10 SpeedFusion VPN | 20 SpeedFusion VPN) at the time of the sale or any time thereafter.

Can the Balance Two be remotely managed?

Yes. The Balance Two comes with a 1-year subscription to EssentialCare, which includes InControl 2. EssentialCare can be extended beyond the first year for a nominal cost (EssentialCare 1 Year | 2 Year).

Can it connect to an OpenVPN server run by a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc.)?

Yes. An inexpensive license (LIC-OPN-WAN) will enable OpenVPN WAN on your device.

Can I add a cellular WAN to the Balance Two?

Yes. The Balance Two is able to provide a cellular WAN with our MAX Adapter. Just connect the MAX Adapter to the Balance Two via the USB port and an LTE or 5G cellular WAN can be provided to the Balance Two. Click here to learn more about the MAX Adapter.

It seems like there are a lot of options here. This could become very expensive!

We intend to allow users to acquire the router at a very reasonable cost and only add the options - if any - that are necessary to meet your requirements.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

First, Peplink Partners are proud to always provide support to you, our users, so always reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Our regular forum users include Peplink Partners, the Peplink team, and many knowledgeable users. Generally, folks with questions get answers rather quickly.
In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can directly enter a support ticket with Peplink. You will then receive attention from some of the best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no other.