Problems getting AP One AC Mini working with SOHO router with VLAN Port enabled

Hello,
I have been using an AP One AC Mini behind a Balance 20 and also a SOHO with very simple configurations for several months with no problems.

I recently setup a SOHO router with a VLAN for DMZ/Guest support for miscellaneous Internet of Things like webcam, smart home hubs, etc that I “do not trust”. The Internal SOHO WiFi and works flawlessly. One SSID is the main LAN and a different SSID for the VLAN (different subnet). I then enabled port type “access” and assigned Port #1 to the VLAN. This also works great and can connect some Ethernet cabled Webcams to the DMZ VLAN.

However when I connect the AP One AC Mini to the SOHO router the connecting clients can not obtain a DHCP address like the internal WIFI SSIDS can. Makes no difference if the AC Mini SSID is for the internal LAN or VLAN. Makes no difference if the AC Mini is attached to the VLAN port or to a regular LAN port. However if I turn off the VLAN Port, but leave the VLAN definition for internal WiFi SSIDs then clients connecting to the AC Mini SSIDs can get DHCP IP addresses. Does not seem to care which actual port the AC Mini is connected to. Same issue if I factory reset the AC Mini with Default settings and SSID. Then If reconnect the AC Mini to the Balance 20 or other SOHO router with no VLAN it always works.

I have spent many weeks on this problem with my retail support. They find nothing wrong. I have backed and restored the configurations. Reset factory and manually rebuild as requested. Still no solution. Please help!!!

Surf SOHO firmware is V6.3.1 build 2023
AP One AC Mini firmware is V3.5.3 build 1607

Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you please confirm the below info for us to further understand the defined setup:

Surf SOHO:

VLAN settings:

• Untagged VLAN: LAN
  • DMZ VLAN: 1

Defined SSIDs:
SSID_LAN (Assigned to LAN)
SSID_DMZ (Assigned to VLAN 1)

Physical interfaces:
LAN1 - Port access DMZ
LAN2 - Port access LAN
LAN3 - Connect to AP One AC Mini (Tested with untagged VLAN or VLAN)
LAN4

AP One AC Mini:
SSID_LAN (VLAN ID 0)
SSID_DMZ (VLAN ID 1)

With the above setup when you connect a device to SSID_LAN & SSID_DMZ for the AP One AC mini you can’t obtain IP address from Surf SOHO ?

Thank You

That is one of the configurations I have tried and while the AC Mini itself can get an IP address, it is the wireless clients that can’t get an IP address when connecting to the AC Mini. Also to make it clear which AP I am testing each SSID is unique. It also turns out as I am typing this reply I have turned off the LAN1 port access to DMZ(vlan1). At this moment all ports settings are port “Trunk” and “Any”. As I encountered this problem I also started experimenting with InControl2.

P.S. I should have mentioned that since all ports are now “Trunk” and “Any” wireless clients can now connect to the AC Mini and get IP adresses.

Hi Dave,

Base on the description given above, the setup is working now with the Surf SOHO default Trunk ports.

Do note that for Surf SOHO, if you enable port base VLAN settings (Define each ports using Trunk or Port access), Trunk port option for un-tagged VLAN (Default LAN) is unavailable. You need to make sure all SSIDs defined at the AP One AC Mini are assigned under VLANs and this include the AP Management VLAN.

Did you try before the following setup:

Surf SOHO:

VLAN settings:
Untagged: LAN
DMZ VLAN: 1
Other VLAN: 2
Management VLAN: 3

Physical interfaces:
LAN1 - Port access DMZ (VLAN1)
LAN2 - Port access LAN
LAN3 - Connect to AP One AC Mini (Trunk with Customize VLAN 1, VLAN 2 and VLAN 3)
LAN4

AP One AC Mini:
AP management (VLAN3)
SSID_DMZ (VLAN ID 1)
SSID_Other (VLAN ID 2)

Thank You