Problem installing Fusionhub VMDK on Virtual Server

Hi,

I tried to install the Fusionhub Image (VMDK) to a virtual server today. It worked so far but I couldn’t save the license code because Fusionhub is telling me that it didn’t found any hard drive:

“Hard Disk not found. Please check virtual machine configuration”.

That is a little bit strange - Where would the boot up come from when no hard disk is installed?

Any solution to this behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your tipps!

Cheers

pro

What hypervisor are you using? Assume local install and not in the cloud?

1 Like

No - I’m using a VServer from IONOS.

Not a local install. All I can do there is to upload the VMDK file and from there start the server with this image. In the KVM window I see the Fusionhub error that no Hard Disk has been found.

Thanks and cheers

pro

And I think it is VMware that used on that machine.

It is vmware. I’ll have a look and see. Does it have to be IONOS? Vultr or dreamhost (or Azure or AWS or Upcloud) are well documented…

1 Like

Yes IONOS would be great as we have all our servers there and traffic is included.

Thanks for your help!

pro.

Now I remember why I stopped using 1and1 (that became IONOS).
Have signed up, bought a VM, can’t even find it to configure it. What a terrible user experience. I am unlikely able to help with hands on experience.

I suspect that vmware sets the disks up as SAS drives and you need them to be IDE as fusionhub won’t have the IO drivers for vmwares disk controller (or something like that).

3 Likes

Ah ha! Its because spinning up a VM is not immediate!!

Maybe later, when my VM is live I’ll be able to help :wink:

1 Like

Dear Martin,

thanks for taking the time to evaluate what is going wrong. Indeed I heard from a guy who setup Fusionhub on IONOS servers. So somehow it shold be possible. Unfortunately he didn’t tell me how he did it.

So thank you for all your support!

Cheers

pro

I installed FusionHub fine on IONOS - but like you get the Hard Disk not found so it can’t take a license.

Am pretty sure that this is because the hypervisor they are using does not use an IDE controller for the disks. Next step would be to get IONOS support to confirm that and then see if they can let you build a vm with an IDE based disk system.

1 Like

Yes, that is exactly what I see on my installation.

I’m in contact with the IONOS Support Team to see if they can change that.

I’ll report when I get an answer.

Thanks for all your effort!

pro

1 Like

OK -I got some information back from IONOS. Indeed they use SAS as interface for the harddrive. And in my local testings I found out that the Fusionhub image only alows you to use IDE harddrives which is a pity because a lot of companys that offer VServers only use SAS as interface or a special virtual harddrive driver.

That means you cannot run Fusionhub on most of all VServer poviders due to the fact that the Fusionhub image only supports IDE.

@Peplink
Isn’t it possible to offer a little more compatible image that can run on any VServer? Becase the current version of the images is not very user-friendly regarding VServers.

Cheers

pro

Lets see if @Kenny has any bright ideas…

1 Like

Please load this vmdk to IONOS and report it works or not. Thanks!

1 Like

@Kenny
Man - this was fast!!!
I installed the VMDK today and gues what? It works like a charm! Great work - fantastic support!
Thanks for taking the time to help me out in such a fast way.

Cheers

pro.

Glad to hear that! This fix will be integrated into next GA firmware (most likely 8.2.0). Please do not upgrade/downgrade to other firmware as the LSI SAS support is broken in those releases.

1 Like